Calculating Heat Required to Raise Water Temperature to 100°C

In summary: Then, plug in the values into the formula Delta Q= mass times specific heat times that change in temperature. In summary, the question asks for the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 10.0 kg of water from 20.0 degrees celcius to 100 degrees celcius. The formula for calculating this is Delta Q= mass times specific heat times that change in temperature. To solve, you will need to find the specific heat of water and plug it into the formula.
rijo664
The question states.

Peter is heating water on the stove to boil eggs for a picnic. How much heat is required to raise the temperature of his 10.0 kg vat of water from 20.0 degrees celcius too 100 degree celcius.

I worked out my problem in this format

Delta Q= mass times specific heat times that change in temperature.

first i subtracted 100 degree celcius with 20.0 degree celcius and i got 80. idk were to go from here. i am stuck. because i don't have specific heat what am i suppose to do. how am i suppose to know how much heat is requred.

Physics news on Phys.org
rijo664 said:
The question states.

Peter is heating water on the stove to boil eggs for a picnic. How much heat is required to raise the temperature of his 10.0 kg vat of water from 20.0 degrees celcius too 100 degree celcius.

I worked out my problem in this format

Delta Q= mass times specific heat times that change in temperature.

first i subtracted 100 degree celcius with 20.0 degree celcius and i got 80. idk were to go from here. i am stuck. because i don't have specific heat what am i suppose to do. how am i suppose to know how much heat is requred.

Look up the specific heat of water.

I can help you solve this problem. The specific heat of water is a constant value, which is approximately 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius. Therefore, to calculate the heat required to raise the temperature of 10.0 kg of water from 20.0 degrees Celsius to 100 degrees Celsius, we can use the formula you mentioned: Delta Q = mass x specific heat x change in temperature.

Substituting the values, we get: Delta Q = (10.0 kg) x (4.186 J/g°C) x (100°C - 20.0°C) = 3,349.2 kJ. This is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of the water to 100 degrees Celsius.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes that all the heat is absorbed by the water and none is lost to the surroundings. In reality, there will be some heat loss to the environment, so the actual amount of heat required may be slightly higher. Additionally, the specific heat of water can vary slightly depending on the temperature, but for practical purposes, the value of 4.186 J/g°C is a good approximation.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate the heat required to raise the temperature of water. Keep in mind that this formula can be used for any substance, as long as you have the mass, specific heat, and change in temperature. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Happy experimenting!

1. How do you calculate the heat required to raise water temperature to 100°C?

The heat required to raise water temperature to 100°C can be calculated using the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q represents the heat energy, m is the mass of the water, C is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature (in this case, from the initial temperature to 100°C).

2. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius. It is approximately 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius.

3. Can the heat required to raise water temperature to 100°C vary depending on the initial temperature of the water?

Yes, the heat required to raise water temperature to 100°C can vary depending on the initial temperature of the water. This is because the change in temperature, ΔT, is a factor in the calculation of heat energy. The larger the initial temperature of the water, the smaller the change in temperature and therefore, the less heat energy is required to raise it to 100°C.

4. What units are used to measure heat energy?

The SI unit for heat energy is the joule (J). However, in the context of chemistry and thermodynamics, the calorie (cal) and kilocalorie (kcal) are also commonly used units to measure heat energy.

5. Is the heat required to raise water temperature to 100°C the same as the heat of vaporization of water?

No, the heat required to raise water temperature to 100°C is not the same as the heat of vaporization of water. The heat of vaporization is the amount of heat energy required to change the state of water from liquid to gas at 100°C, while the former refers to the specific heat capacity of water at that temperature.