What is the probability of winning a game based on coin tosses?

In summary, the question is about the probability of winning a game where two players take turns tossing a fair coin and the first one to toss a head wins. The probability that the player who makes the first toss wins the game is 2/3. This can be shown through an infinite series or a clever approach by considering the game after the first player's first toss.
lhuyvn
Hi members,
I have traveled this forum sometimes, But this is my first question. I hope to get your help so that I can prepare better for my GRE Math test.

Following is my question.

In a game two players take turns tossing a fair coin; the winner is the firt one to toss a head. The probability that the player who makes the first toss wins the game is:
A)1/4
B)1/3
C)1/2
D)2/3
E)3/4

Thanks in advance.
LuuTruongHuy

Mathematics news on Phys.org
HI

Here's my solution...

H = head
T = tails

(AH denotes "A got a head")

Suppose A starts first. Then the different possibilities are tabulated thus:

AH (A gets a head, game stops)
AT,BT,AH (A gets tails, B gets tails, A gets heads, game stops)
AT,BT,AT,BT,AH (A gets tails, B gets tails, A gets tails, B gets tails, A gets heads, game stops)

and so on...

So the probability is given by the sum,

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}} + \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{2}} + \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{2} + ...} [/tex]

the kth term is

[tex](\frac{1}{2})^p[/tex]

where p = (2k+1) for k = 0, 1, 2, ... note that there are (2k+1) continued products in the kth term)

The game goes on as long as A and B get tails and stops as soon as A gets a head, since A was the one who started the game first.

This is an infinite sum, the value of which is given by

[tex]SUM = \displaystyle{\frac{1/2}{1-(1/4)}} = \frac{2}{3}[/tex]

I think 2/3 should be the answer, but I could be wrong (as usual) ;-)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If any part of the solution is wrong/not clear, please let me know. (I have assumed that you are familar with addition and multiplication in probability and also with geometric progressions, esp containing an infinite number of terms--the kinds that appear in such problems.)

Cheers
Vivek

Last edited:
The answer is 2/3

The first player has a probability of 1/2 that both he will take a first toss AND that he will win on that toss.

The second player only has a probablity of 1/4 that he will both take his first toss and win on that toss.

The first player then has a probabilty of 1/8 that he will both require his second toss and win on that toss.

Continuing on like this the first player has a probabilty of 1/2 + 1/8 + 1/32 + ... and the second player has a probability of 1/4 + 1/16 + 1/64 + ... of winning.

For those who like clever answers, you can skip the infinite series. :smile:

Suppose the first player's first flip is a tails. Now, if you look at how the game proceeds, it is identical to the original game, except the first and second player are reversed.

So if p is the probability that the first player in the game wins, then once the first player flips a tails, the second player has a probability p of winning. (and probability 0 of winning otherwise)

Since there's a 1/2 chance the first player will flip tails, the second player has a probability p/2 of winning, and the first player probability p.

Thus, p = 2/3.

Thank All for very nice answers !

1. What is probability and why is it important?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is important in science because it allows us to make predictions and decisions based on data and evidence.

2. How is probability different from statistics?

Probability is a theoretical concept that deals with the likelihood of events, while statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data.

3. What is a sample space in probability?

A sample space is the set of all possible outcomes of an experiment or event. It is important in probability because it helps us to determine the likelihood of each outcome occurring.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other's probability, while dependent events are events that do affect each other's probability.

5. How do you calculate probability?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas and equations, depending on the type of event or experiment.