Using Small Examples to Solve Combinatorial Problems

• B
  • Thread starter sahilmm15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary: Especially for these combinatorial problems. If in doubt, count for a low-value example. Often that's how you see what's going. And, it gives you an answer to check against any general formula you come up with.
sahilmm15
In the below picture I understood the problem and also understood the solution. But I am not clear on why did they choose this particular method. So my question is why did they divided 50 with powers of 2 and 3, and what relation does ##50## have with ##50!## ( I am clear on the solution part but I am clueless how would have the author thought of the problem.) Thanks!
IMG_20201224_143619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just counting factors isn't it? It's not clear how much you understand.

PeroK said:
It's just counting factors isn't it? It's not clear how much you understand.
I think I overcomplicated it. Can you explain me from scratch.

sahilmm15 said:
I think I overcomplicated it. Can you explain me from scratch.
If you look at ##10!## say, then count the factors of ##2##. We have:

2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 all have a factor of 2 (that's five factors of 2)

4 and 8 have a second factor of 2 (that's two more factors of 2)

8 has a third factor of 2 (that's another one)

Altogether, therefore, ##10!## has eight factors of 2. And doing this for the other primes we see that: $$10! = 2^8 \times 3^4 \times 5^2 \times 7$$

Likes sahilmm15
PeroK said:

Altogether, therefore, ##10!## has eight factors of 2. And doing this for the other primes we see that: $$10! = 2^8 \times 3^4 \times 5^2 \times 7$$
This was so simple. Thanks!

PeroK said:

What I learned from this example is if you cannot comprehend a bigger problem take a smaller example and relate to the steps. I saw you doing this from past 2 answers and it worked beautifully.

Likes PeroK
sahilmm15 said:
What I learned from this example is if you cannot comprehend a bigger problem take a smaller example and relate to the steps. I saw you doing this from past 2 answers and it worked beautifully.
Especially for these combinatorial problems. If in doubt, count for a low-value example. Often that's how you see what's going.

And, it gives you an answer to check against any general formula you come up with.

• Informative
Likes sahilmm15

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a number that represents how many times a base number is multiplied by itself. It is written as a superscript to the right of the base number.

2. How do you solve a problem involving exponents?

To solve a problem involving exponents, you can use the rules of exponents, which include multiplying exponents with the same base, dividing exponents with the same base, and raising a power to a power.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative exponent?

A positive exponent indicates that the base number is multiplied by itself the number of times shown by the exponent. A negative exponent indicates that the base number is divided by itself the number of times shown by the exponent.

4. Can exponents be fractions or decimals?

Yes, exponents can be fractions or decimals. They represent the same concept of how many times a base number is multiplied by itself, but the resulting value may be a fraction or decimal.

5. How are exponents used in real-life situations?

Exponents are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating compound interest, measuring radioactive decay, and representing large or small numbers in scientific notation.