A problem involving the addition of two cubes

• B
  • Thread starter Charles Link
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding integer solutions for equations involving powers, specifically a^3+b^3=c^3. The topic brought up famous mathematicians such as Euler and Fermat and their contributions to this area. It was also mentioned that there are infinitely many solutions for this type of equation and some examples were given. The conversation also delved into the concept of finding solutions for a^2+b^2=c^2 and whether a similar approach could be applied to a^3+b^3+c^3=d^3. A trick question was also brought up and the conversation ended on a humorous note.
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Hypothetical situation: An algebra teacher was looking for examples of how the cubes of two integers might add to be the cube of a 3rd integer. Can you help the algebra teacher?
This post is meant to be a fun one. It is at the beginner level, because I think most people at the intermediate level would know what the solution is, but they might also find it entertaining as well. ## \\ ## A hypothetical situation: An algebra teacher observed that ## 3^2+4^2=5^2 ## and ## 5^2+12^2=13^2 ## and quite a number of others. The teacher wanted to give the class a little practice with some 3rd power arithmetic, and was looking for some integer examples where ##a^3+b^3=c^3 ##. Can you help the algebra teacher find a couple?

Likes QuantumQuest
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Euler, 1753, but I don't know how he did it.

Likes Charles Link
fresh_42 said:
Euler, 1753, but I don't know how he did it.
The first of many. I was thinking more on the lines of Fermat, but yes, I think Euler did it for the cubes. And the question that still remains unanswered, though many have their guesses, is whether Fermat had a proof for it.

Charles Link said:
and was looking for some integer examples where a3+b3=c3 .

Huh? Doesn't Wiles' Theorem (formerly Fermat's Last Theorem) say there are no such triples?

Vanadium 50 said:
Huh? Doesn't Wiles' Theorem (formerly Fermat's Last Theorem) say there are no such triples?
That's why I made it a thread for beginners. I wanted to see if they knew that was the case. It was intended to be semi-educational.

But there exists integers a, b, c and d such that [itex]a^{3}+b^{3}+c^{3}=d^{3} [/itex]. Example: [itex]3^{3}+4^{3}+5^{3}=6^{3} [/itex].

Likes Charles Link and PeroK
There are even infinitely many solutions for ##a^3+b^3=c^3##.

fresh_42 said:
There are even infinitely many solutions for ##a^3+b^3=c^3##.
?

Svein said:
?
Read the OP carefully. All triples ##(a,0,a)##, ##(a,-a,0)## are integer solutions!

Likes Charles Link
fresh_42 said:
Read the OP carefully. All triples ##(a,0,a)##, ##(a,-a,0)## are integer solutions!
Of course! I just added the Fermat condition mentally - the integers should be >0!

Likes Charles Link and Greg Bernhardt
Svein said:
But there exists integers a, b, c and d such that [itex]a^{3}+b^{3}+c^{3}=d^{3} [/itex]. Example: [itex]3^{3}+4^{3}+5^{3}=6^{3} [/itex].
So, we know that for a^2+b^2=c^2, we can write it as:
a=m^2-n^2,b=2mn and therefore c=m^2+n^2, and then we can write it for all positive integers. Can we do the same for [itex]a^{3}+b^{3}+c^{3}=d^{3} [/itex] ??

Congratulations. You got me (and others) with your trick question.

Ha.
Ha.
Ha.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the formula for adding two cubes together?

The formula for adding two cubes together is (a+b)^3 = a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + b^3. This is known as the binomial expansion formula.

2. Can two cubes with different side lengths be added together?

Yes, two cubes with different side lengths can be added together as long as they have the same base and height.

3. What is the significance of adding two cubes together?

Adding two cubes together is important in various mathematical applications, such as finding the volume of a rectangular prism or solving polynomial equations.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for adding two cubes together?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks for adding two cubes together, such as using the difference of cubes formula (a^3 - b^3 = (a-b)(a^2 + ab + b^2)) or recognizing patterns in the coefficients of the binomial expansion formula.

5. Is there a limit to the size of cubes that can be added together?

The size of the cubes that can be added together is only limited by the precision of the calculation method being used. In theory, cubes of any size can be added together. However, in practical applications, the size of the cubes may be limited by the available resources and computational power.