Solve dp/dt Velocity Problem: rho, v, g, f, u

• Thread starter physiker99
  • Start date
The dust particles in that volume will pass through the surface S within Δt. If you know the density of dust ρ, then you can calculate the mass of dust that will pass through S per unit time. The velocity component is used to determine the volume of space within Δt. The volume is determined by multiplying the surface area S by the distance the dust particles will travel within Δt, which is given by vΔtcosθ. The angle θ is the angle between the velocity vector and the surface S. This is how the velocity component is used to calculate the volume.
physiker99
Object’s above area is S. Dust particles with density rho and velocity v fall over it. Fallen particles on object leave object and fall to the ground. Gravity is g. What is the velocity of the object, u? (Friction coefficient between ground and the object is f)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4336/adszqv0.jpg

Solution is as since there is no acceleration, net force is zero.
Then G+N+ F(friction) + dp/dt = 0

Then x component of dp/dt is calculated as followed: (dpx/dt)

Ffriction = fN = dpx/dt = J * v(relative) = J * (v. Cos(theta) – u) (A)

(dpy/dt > y component of dp/dt)

N = mg + dpy/dt = J * (v*sin(theta)) (B)

J (mass of dusts fall in unit time) = S * rho * v(sin(theta))

Then solver makes derives simple equations from A and B and finds u.
My questioon is, how dp/dt is used. I guess it must be derived, but it is not derived and m*v is directly written.

If anyone understood the solution, please let me know. (Solution is correct by the way, it is taken from a book.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
physiker99 said:
Object’s above area is S. Dust particles with density rho and velocity v fall over it. Fallen particles on object leave object and fall to the ground. Gravity is g. What is the velocity of the object, u? (Friction coefficient between ground and the object is f)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4336/adszqv0.jpg

Solution is as since there is no acceleration, net force is zero.
Then G+N+ F(friction) + dp/dt = 0
I am guessing these terms were written as vectors in the book you got it from, rather than as simple scalars as shown here?

Also, "G" is mg, the weight of the object?

Then x component of dp/dt is calculated as followed: (dpx/dt)

Ffriction = fN = dpx/dt = J * v(relative) = J * (v. Cos(theta) – u) (A)

(dpy/dt > y component of dp/dt)

N = mg + dpy/dt = J * (v*sin(theta)) (B)

J (mass of dusts fall in unit time) = S * rho * v(sin(theta))

Then solver makes derives simple equations from A and B and finds u.
My questioon is, how dp/dt is used. I guess it must be derived, but it is not derived and m*v is directly written.
The velocity change can be calculated from:
  • The dust has velocity v, at angle θ, before "colliding" with the object.
  • After collison, the dust has the same velocity as the object.
Besides the velocity change, you need to know how much mass of dust has collided with the top surface S per unit time. This is determined by density and volume. The volume is determined from S and v, θ (the before-collision velocity)

If anyone understood the solution, please let me know. (Solution is correct by the way, it is taken from a book.)

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guessing these terms were written as vectors in the book
You're right, those were written as vectors. Excuse me.

Also, "G" is mg, the weight of the object?
Right, G is the mg (as far a i remember)

Besides the velocity change, you need to know how much mass of dust has collided with the top surface S per unit time. This is determined by density and volume. The volume is determined from S and v, θ (the before-collision velocity)

How can we use velocity component to calculate mass. Can you explain to me how you use velocity and S to calculate volume? I have difficulty to understand it.

physiker99 said:
How can we use velocity component to calculate mass. Can you explain to me how you use velocity and S to calculate volume? I have difficulty to understand it.

You'll have to use some geometry, and figure out where dust particles are located that would hit the surface within a time Δt later. That will define a volume of space.

What is the equation for solving dp/dt velocity problem?

The equation is dp/dt = -rho * v * g + f * u, where rho is the fluid density, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, f is the friction factor, and u is the velocity of the object relative to the fluid.

How do the variables rho, v, g, f, and u affect the velocity problem?

Rho, v, and g are directly related to the fluid and its surrounding environment. F and u are related to the object moving through the fluid. Changes in any of these variables can affect the velocity of the object.

What is the role of rho in the equation?

Rho, or fluid density, affects the magnitude of the force acting on the object. A denser fluid will have a greater impact on the object's velocity compared to a less dense fluid.

What does the velocity v represent in the equation?

The velocity v represents the velocity of the fluid. This can either be the velocity of the fluid relative to the object or the velocity of the object relative to the fluid, depending on how the equation is being used.

How is the friction factor f determined?

The friction factor f is determined by various factors such as the surface roughness of the object, the viscosity of the fluid, and the Reynolds number. It is often determined experimentally or through mathematical calculations.