Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem on terminology

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    English's not the native language in my country; however (strangely), currently I'm learning Math in the language. And now I'm encountered with a kind of "language" problem here: I can't see the difference between the defination " term" and " monomials". Do they mean the same thing, but only have different emphasis? If so, which of them is used more often? Thank you if you could give me some ideas about this!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    Polynomials are made up of terms. These all have exponents of 0, 1, 2, ...

A monomial is a polynomial with one term:

A binomial is a polynomial with two terms:

4. Nov 5, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As far as I know, the values you sum over in a summation are called 'terms':
    e.g.: a+b+c+d
    a,b,c and d are called terms.
    Just like for a product: abcd
    the values are called 'factors'

English is not my native language either though...
  5. Nov 5, 2004 #4
    Could you maybe give a sentence from your book for each word so we can see the context?
  6. Nov 6, 2004 #5
    "Terms are separated by + or - "

"Monomial is a product of two or some factors, each of them is either a number, or a letter, or a power of a letter. A single number or a single letter may be also considered as a monomial."(defination from www.bymath.com)
    But terms can be the same. (?) Sorry but I'm still a little confused.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?