1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem with C

1. Dec 27, 2007 #1
    Hi.

I'm kinda learning C at home by myself and was just to compile another small program when I encountered problem with compiling.

Here's the code:
    Code (Text):
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <math.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
        float p, S;

if (argc != 3)
        {
            fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <side_a> <side_b> <side_c> \n", argv[0]);
        }

p = (argv[1] + argv[2] + argv[3]) / 2;                                //13th line
        S = sqrt(p * (p - argv[1]) * (p - argv[2]) * (p - argv[3]));   //14th line

printf("Area of this triangle is: %f \n", S);

return 0;
    }
    and here are the lines from compiler:
    Code (Text):
    kbau@kbox:~/prj/c/test/exercises$ gcc uzd1.c -o uzd1 -Wall
    uzd1.c: In function ‘main’:
    uzd1.c:13: error: invalid operands to binary +
    uzd1.c:14: error: invalid operands to binary -

I'm getting frustrated why isn't this working. I don't understand why is there a problem.

I don't really have any work to show you except the code, I'm just curious why isn't it working. Help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2007 #2
    argv[n] is not a number. It is a char *-- a "string", a series of typed ASCII characters. In order to treat a string like a number, you must first convert it from a "string" to a number. See the man pages for atoi() and atof().

4. Dec 28, 2007 #3
    Yeah, I figured that out when I woke up during the night but thanks anyway. atof() is the one I need 'cause I have a float there.

5. Dec 28, 2007 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually atof returns a double, not a float. Most compilers will "promote" the double to a float for you.

The reason I mention this - there are a lot of standard C functions that look like they might return a float - modf, atof, for example - when they return a double instead. You need to be careful about assuming what some C function returns just by the name of the function.

6. Dec 29, 2007 #5
    Ok, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?