A problem with diode limitters

• Thread starter bibo_dvd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary: In the negative half cycle, the output voltage equals the input voltage, minus the diode drop. Sketch that on top of the input waveform plot...
bibo_dvd
hello guys

while studing the diode limitters

i found two examples i solved the first one but i couldn't with the second
1 -

ohwNJGZ.png

2-

ih6plrd.png

in the first i know that the diode while be forward biased in the negative half of the signal
so the negative half will be limitted to -0.7 v
and the V peak output will be = [(RL/(RL+R1)]*Vinput = 9.09v

but i don't know what will be the difference between the first and the second problem !

so please help me guys ...Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In the second one, for + input signal, will the diode be forward or reverse biased? What does that mean about current through the resistor?

For - input signal, ask the same questions...

berkeman said:
In the second one, for + input signal, will the diode be forward or reverse biased? What does that mean about current through the resistor?

For - input signal, ask the same questions...

okay in the + input the diode will be reverse biased so the current will not pass , but in the case of - input the diode will be forward biased and the current will pass

am i right ??

bibo_dvd said:
okay in the + input the diode will be reverse biased so the current will not pass , but in the case of - input the diode will be forward biased and the current will pass

am i right ??

Correct. And V=IR, so you know when you will have an output voltage. Good job! :smile:

berkeman said:
Correct. And V=IR, so you know when you will have an output voltage. Good job! :smile:

okay i know that , but i still don't know how will i calculate Vout

i think Vout will be = -10+0.7= -9.3v .. is that right ??

bibo_dvd said:
okay i know that , but i still don't know how will i calculate Vout

i think Vout will be = -10+0.7= -9.3v .. is that right ??

That would be the negative peak voltage. The output waveform will follow the input waveform (minus the diode drop) when the diode is conducting.

berkeman said:
That would be the negative peak voltage. The output waveform will follow the input waveform (minus the diode drop) when the diode is conducting.

you mean that the output waveform will equal zero in the positive half and in the negative half it will equal -10v-0.7v ?? or what ??

bibo_dvd said:
you mean that the output waveform will equal zero in the positive half and in the negative half it will equal -10v-0.7v ?? or what ??

In the negative half cycle, the output voltage equals the input voltage, minus the diode drop. Sketch that on top of the input waveform plot...

1. What is a diode limiter and how does it work?

A diode limiter is a circuit component that limits the voltage or current that can pass through it. It works by using a diode, which is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. When the input voltage or current exceeds a certain threshold, the diode begins to conduct and limits the output to a safe level.

2. What are the common applications of diode limiters?

Diode limiters are commonly used in electronic circuits to protect sensitive components from overvoltage or overcurrent. They are also used in radio frequency (RF) circuits to prevent signal distortion.

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using diode limiters?

The main advantage of using diode limiters is their simplicity and low cost. They are also effective at protecting circuits from damage. However, they can introduce signal distortion and may not be able to handle high power levels.

4. Can diode limiters be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, diode limiters can be used in both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, their performance may vary depending on the type of circuit and the specific application.

5. Are there any alternatives to diode limiters?

Yes, there are alternative circuit components that can provide similar protection, such as transient voltage suppressors (TVS) and metal oxide varistors (MOV). These components may have different characteristics and may be more suitable for certain applications.