A problem with Ladder operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that \hat{a_{+}}|\alpha>=A_{\alpha}|\alpha+1> using the properties of the ladder operators. The conversation includes a manipulation of \hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}|\alpha>=\alpha|\alpha> into the form \hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}[{\hat{a_{+}}|\alpha>}]=(1+\alpha)[\hat{a_{+}}|\alpha>], and a discussion of the eigenvalue and eigenstate of the operator \hat{a}_+\hat{a}_-. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that \hat{a}_+\hat
<---

Homework Statement

The problem is to show that,

[tex]\hat{a_{+}}|\alpha>=A_{\alpha}|\alpha+1>[/tex]

using

[tex]\hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}|\alpha>=\alpha|\alpha>[/tex]It's not hard to manipulate [tex]\hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}|\alpha>=\alpha|\alpha>[/tex] into the form,

[tex]\hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}[{\hat{a_{+}}|\alpha>}]=(1+\alpha)[\hat{a_{+}}|\alpha>][/tex]

But I am unable to make the connection from this to,

[tex]\hat{a_{+}}|\alpha>=A_{\alpha}|\alpha+1>[/tex]

I know it's just using the properties of the eigenfunctions/values of a Hermatian operator at this point, but I seem to be missing exactly what that is.What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
<--- said:
It's not hard to manipulate [tex]\hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}|\alpha>=\alpha|\alpha>[/tex] into the form,

[tex]\hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}[{\hat{a_{+}}|\alpha>}]=(1+\alpha)[\hat{a_{+}}|\alpha>][/tex]

Well, this is an eigenvalue equation for the operator [itex]\hat{a}_+\hat{a}_-[/itex], with eigenvalue [itex]\alpha+1[/itex] and eigenstate [itex]\hat{a}_+|\alpha\rangle[/itex]...but compare this to your original eigenvalue equation for this operator...surely if [itex]\alpha+1[/itex] is the eigenvalue, the eigenstate must be [itex]|\alpha+1\rangle[/itex] (or at least a scalar multiple of it)...doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about [itex]\hat{a}_+|\alpha\rangle[/itex]?:wink:

From what you've done, using both ladder operators on the ket, what does that say about [itex]N=\hat{a}_+\hat{a}_-[/itex] and [itex]\hat{a}_\pm[/itex]??

Thanks very much for the replys.

gabba, That did occur to me, but I wasn't willing to make the concession that,

[tex]\hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}|\alpha>=\alpha|\alpha> [/tex]

Was a general property and not [tex]\alpha[/tex] specific.Is this a property of NORMALIZED eigenvectors(for which I should have specified |alpha> is defined as)? If so I suppose that would explain the [tex]A_{\alpha}[/tex] as a normalization constant.

jd, I know [tex]\hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}[/tex] is Hermatian although neither are individually... I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

<--- said:
jd, I know [tex]\hat{a_{+}}\hat{a_{-}}[/tex] is Hermatian although neither are individually... I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

I was trying to guide you with less words than what gabba said: If

[tex]
N\hat{a}_\pm|n\rangle=(n\pm1)\hat{a}_\pm|n\rangle
[/tex]

and [itex]N|n\rangle=n|n\rangle[/itex], then [itex]\hat{a}_\pm|n\rangle[/itex] are multiplicative eigenstates of [itex]|n\pm1\rangle[/itex].

Thank you that helps, I'll have to stare at that for awhile to let it sink in.

1. What are ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy states of a system. They are based on the theory of angular momentum and allow for the calculation of energy levels and transitions between them.

2. What is the significance of a problem with ladder operators?

A problem with ladder operators can lead to inaccuracies in the energy calculations of a system. This can result in incorrect predictions or interpretations of quantum phenomena, which can greatly impact our understanding of the physical world.

3. What causes a problem with ladder operators?

A problem with ladder operators can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect mathematical equations, improper application of the operators, or limitations of the theory itself. It is important for scientists to carefully analyze and validate their use of ladder operators in order to avoid potential problems.

4. How do scientists address and solve problems with ladder operators?

Scientists may use various techniques to address and solve problems with ladder operators, such as adjusting the mathematical equations, performing experimental tests, or seeking alternative theoretical explanations. Collaboration and peer review also play a crucial role in identifying and resolving issues with ladder operators.

5. What are the implications of a problem with ladder operators in practical applications?

A problem with ladder operators can have significant implications in practical applications, particularly in the field of quantum computing. Inaccuracies in energy calculations can lead to errors in quantum algorithms, limiting the capabilities of quantum computers. Therefore, it is essential for scientists to continually investigate and improve the use of ladder operators in order to advance the development of quantum technologies.