Solving the Mystery of Clay Temperature Change

In summary, the question asks for the final temperature of a lump of clay thrown against a wall on a pleasant fall day. The clay has a mass of 0.855 kg and is thrown with a speed of 38.0 m/s. Assuming no heat escapes into the air and the clay starts at the same temperature as the air, the specific heat of the clay is 2555 J/kgK. The formula used is Q = cmΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, c is the specific heat of the material, m is the mass, and ΔT is the change in temperature. The change in temperature is what needs to be found, and the provided information suggests that the lost energy from the initial and final
rijo664
k the question states

On a pleasant fall day (temperature of 21.0 degree Celcius) a lump of clay (with mass of
.855 kg) is thrown against the wall with a speed of 38.0 m/s. The clay deforms as it sticks to the wall, noiselessly. Assuming no heat escapes into the air, what will be the final temperature of the clay? (Assume the clay starts at the same temperature as the air; Specific heat of clay is 2555 J/kgK.

I did:
Temperature original= 21 degree F
Mass= .885c kg
V= 38.0 m/s
Specific Heat of clay= 2555 J/kgK
Temperature final= ?
Formula= Q=cm delta T
Delta T= Q/cm

that what i have done so far. i know what c and m is but i don't know how to find the Q because i don't have the Change in Temperature. Can u help.

This is what i have so far.
Delta T= Q/(2555J/kgK)(.885kg)

This is what i got so far.

In order to find Q i need the change in temperature. which is what i am stuck on. and i also don't get what i am suppose to do with that velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
the initial and final kinetic energies of the clay are not equal. that energy had to go somewhere. the wording of the problem implies that you are to consider that energy which was lost is turned into heat.

The change in temperature is what you're asked to find. But you should be able to figure out what Q is. Hint: Why did they give you the speed of the clay?

1. How does temperature affect the properties of clay?

Temperature has a significant impact on the properties of clay. As the temperature increases, clay becomes more pliable and easier to work with. It also becomes more elastic and less likely to crack. However, if the temperature is too high, the clay can become too soft and difficult to shape. On the other hand, if the temperature is too low, the clay can become brittle and prone to breaking.

2. What causes clay to change temperature?

Clay can change temperature due to a variety of factors, including the ambient temperature of the environment, the heat generated by the hands of the person working with the clay, and the heat produced by the friction of shaping the clay. Additionally, the moisture content of the clay can also affect its temperature as it evaporates.

3. How do you measure the temperature of clay?

The most accurate way to measure the temperature of clay is to use a thermometer specifically designed for pottery and ceramics. This type of thermometer can be inserted into the clay while it is being worked with to get an accurate reading. Alternatively, you can use an infrared thermometer to measure the surface temperature of the clay.

4. Is there an ideal temperature for working with clay?

The ideal temperature for working with clay can vary depending on the specific type of clay and the preferences of the artist. Generally, a range of 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit (20-22 degrees Celsius) is considered ideal for most types of clay. However, some artists may prefer slightly cooler or warmer temperatures for their specific techniques.

5. How does clay temperature affect the firing process?

The temperature of the clay during the firing process is crucial as it can greatly affect the final outcome of the piece. If the clay is fired at too low of a temperature, it may not fully harden and could be more susceptible to breaking. On the other hand, if the clay is fired at too high of a temperature, it could become over-fired and lose its desired shape and texture.