Is the Proof for P=NP Legitimate? Exploring the Controversial Claim

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper claiming to prove P=NP, but there are doubts about the validity of the proof and the credibility of arxiv as a source. The commenters also mention the importance of peer-reviewed journals and the possibility of incorrect papers being posted on arxiv. The author expresses gratitude for the help and encouragement received.
lufbrajames
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Lemma 4.4 is bogus. You can't separate any real number into two parts, an integer before the decimal point and an integer after the decimal point.

Also, the possibility that a given computation on an arbitrary input does not halt is not even considered.

Arg, what am I going to tell those traveling salesmen now? Got their hopes up for a sec.

Just a comment: if this were a valid proof, why wouldn't it be in a real journal?

is arvix not credible?

I only go on there because its free. Perhaps I should steer clear?

Jim

statdad said:
Just a comment: if this were a valid proof, why wouldn't it be in a real journal?

perelman's proofs are only up on arxiv

lufbrajames said:
is arvix not credible?

I only go on there because its free. Perhaps I should steer clear?

Jim

arxiv is a great resource, but the fact that a paper made it onto arxiv does not mean that the paper is good or even correct. Plenty of crackpots manage to get their papers on arxiv.

Arxiv does not try to fill the same role as a respectable peer-reviewed journal and you shouldn't consider it as such. In such a journal you have some assurance that the articles are correct, make sense, and are useful, but on arxiv no such guarantee is made.

Most of the great papers on arxiv is in my opinion either long expository work or pre-prints that'll later be accepted to a standard journal (of course I have only seen a very small subset of the arxiv submission, and in a very narrow area so this may not be true in general).

There are plenty of "proofs" of Goldbach, Riemann, P vs. NP, etc. on arxiv and they all seem to be incorrect.

The other commenters have summed it up - the "quality control" at Arvix is pretty poor (if I hadn't already had my morning coffee I would say "does not exist" instead of pretty poor). But another take: If this paper were correct, publication in a journal would be a major coup for the editors. I may be too suspicious, and it may be in review, but if the author truly believed it was correct, and knew that the chance it would appear in a journal were high, why would he leak it out at Arvix?

paper said:
ACKNOWLEDGMENT
The author would like to thank all the people who give him worm help and encouragement.

I have a problem to solve, I'd sure like some worm help too :biggrin:

1. What is P=NP and why is it important?

P=NP is a mathematical problem that asks whether every problem whose solution can be quickly verified by a computer can also be quickly solved by a computer. It is important because if P=NP is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for the fields of computer science, mathematics, and cryptography.

2. What is the current status of the proof for P=NP?

The proof for P=NP is still an open problem and has not been solved yet. Many scientists and mathematicians have attempted to prove or disprove it, but a definitive answer has not been reached.

3. What are some potential consequences if P=NP is proven to be true?

If P=NP is proven to be true, it would mean that many problems that are considered extremely difficult or impossible to solve efficiently could be solved in polynomial time. This would have major implications for industries like cybersecurity and data analysis.

4. Why is it so difficult to prove or disprove P=NP?

P=NP is a complex problem that has been studied for decades without a definitive answer. It is difficult to prove or disprove because it involves a wide range of mathematical concepts and requires a deep understanding of computational complexity theory.

5. How can scientists and mathematicians continue to work towards a solution for P=NP?

Scientists and mathematicians continue to work towards a solution for P=NP by developing new algorithms, exploring new approaches, and collaborating with others in the field. They also continue to study and analyze existing proofs and potential counterexamples in order to gain a better understanding of the problem.