1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A proof.

1. Mar 4, 2004 #1
    Hi, im having a little trouble with this proof:

Let n be a positive integer. What is the largest binomial coefficient [tex]C(n,r)[/tex] where r is a nonnegative integer less than or equal to n? Prove your answer is correct.

So let [tex]r = \lfloor{\frac{n}{2}\rfloor} [/tex] or [tex]r = \lceil{\frac{n}{2}\rceil} [/tex] then [tex]\left( \begin{array}{c} n \\ r \end{array} \right)[/tex] is the largest binomial coefficient.

Now im having trouble with the proof. Where do i begin?
    Maybe something like this?

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{c} n \\ \lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor \end{array} \right) = \frac{n!}{\left(\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor \right)! \left(n - \lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor \right)!} = ......[/tex]

Am i on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes you are on the right track. There are two cases depending on whether n is odd or even. Obviously the middle values are the biggest, just think of the Pascal triangle. Then I suppose you would prove that (in the even case) C(n,n/2) > C(n,r) for r < n and r not equal n/2. Consider writing n as 2m, so n/2 = m, and splitting out the facors: C(n,m) = n(n-1)...(m+1)/m(m-1)...1 compared to C(n,r) = n(n-1)...r/(n-r)(n-r-1)...1, and match factors.

4. Mar 5, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you can proceed as follows:

note that [tex]\binom{n}{r}=\binom{n}{n-r}[/tex] and that it thus suffices to show that the coeffs for r=0 to [n/2] (integral part) are increasing.

This follows from a *careful* induction argument (it's best to have two base cases going for n=2 and 3 say).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook