1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A proof

1. Jun 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let T: V---->V be a linear operator where dim V=n. Show that V
    has a basis of eigenvectors if and only if V has a basis B such that
    TB is diagonal.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let T=[a1,1......an,1] ai,j=/=0
    [a1,n......an,n]
    Let TB=[a1,1v1......0n,1]
    [01,n.......an,nvn]
    Since this is diagonal, and ai,j=/=0,
    then we have a basis of eigenvectors (these are meant to be vertical)<[v1,...0]......[0.....vn]>
    that, after being mulitplied by T, formed the matrix TB.
    To show that they are eigenvectors, a possible linear combination is
    [v1,...0] and when multiplied by T gives a1,1[v1,...0]+...+a1,n[v1,....0]
    =(a1,1+...+a1,n)[v1,....0]. Since [v1,....0] is an eigenvector, and
    the others follow the same logic, mulitplying the basis of eigenvectors by T
    should produce a diagonal matrix, as shown.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose V has a basis [tex]B=\{b_1,\ldots,b_n\}[/tex] consisting of eigenvectors of T. Then for each j, [tex]T b_j = \lambda_j b_j[/tex]. If I express this equation in terms of the basis B, then
    [tex][T]_B [b_j]_B = \lambda_j [b_j]_B[/tex]
    But [tex][b_j]_B[/tex] is simply a column vector containing all zeros except for a 1 in the j'th position. Carrying out the matrix multiplication then shows that
    [tex][T]_B = \Lambda[/tex]
    where [tex]\Lambda[/tex] is the diagonal matrix whose diagonal entries are [tex]\{\lambda_1,\ldots,\lambda_n\}[/tex]. This gives you one direction of the proof. For the other direction, you can essentially reverse the steps above to verify that the [tex]\lambda_j[/tex]'s must be eigenvalues and the [tex]b_j[/tex]'s must be eigenvectors.

4. Jun 12, 2009 #3
    Yeah, I did the other direction by assuming that TB is diagonal then showing that
    the basis consists of eigenvectors and that TB consists of eigenvalues, though I
    think I messed up when I mentioned a1,1+...+a1,n is an eigenvalue since I multiplied wrong.
    It should be a1,1 for the eigenvalue of [v1.....0]. Made a mistake with multiplication.
    Oh and when I said "then we have a basis of eigenvectors" I shouldn't've called
    the basis of eigenvectors a basis of eigenvectors, since I was proving it in the first place,
    and I should've called the scalar an eigenvalue. It's these small mistakes that make a big
    difference.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook