1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A proof

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    I answered this wrong on a test, but now I've come up with a different solution.
    Problem: Prove that a relation [itex]xRy\Leftrightarrow x-y\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] defined on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is an equivalence relation.
    1.) Reflexivity: [itex]xRx,\forall x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]
    For every [itex]x[/itex] we have [itex]x-x=0[/itex] which is an integer, so reflexivity holds.
    2.) Symmetricity: [itex]xRy\Rightarrow yRx,\forall x,y\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]
    If for all [itex]x,y\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] we have [itex](x-y)\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex], then [itex]y-x=-1\cdot(x-y)[/itex] (any integer multiplied by -1 is also an integer) and thus [itex](y-x)\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and the relation is symmetric.
    3.) Transitivity: [itex]xRy\wedge yRz\Rightarrow xRz,\forall x,y,z\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]
    For some [itex]x,y,z\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] we have [itex](x-y)+(y-z)=x-y+y-z=x-z[/itex] (the sum of two integers is also an integer) and thus [itex](x-z)\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. The relation is also transitive.
    Is this it???
    PS: sorry for the poor spelling
    - Kamataat
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is precisely what you should have done!
    (And don't you just hate it when that comes right after the test!)
  4. Nov 3, 2005 #3
    Yeah, especially since it's such an elementary thing. I'd think anyone with a (future) professional interest in maths/physics should know this stuff like the back of his/her hand! Oh well, it's happened before to me, so...

Anyway, thanks!

- Kamataat
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?