What values of n make this system a proper thermodynamic system?

In summary, the system is a proper thermodynamic system if and only if for every value of the integer "n", the system's entropy increases.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have this question that in it there's this expression "A proper Thermodynamic system".

I thought that means that the first law (or is it the second) that ##dS \ge 0##, i.e. the change of entropy always increase.

But I am not sure, can someone clear to me this matter?

Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking it up? Your question can be answered in a second of searching on the internet.

Likes Chestermiller
I tried searching google, and didn't find the exact phrasing:"A proper Thermodynamic system" then what is it?

I guess I didn't understand your question. I thought you were confused by what the first and second laws of thermodynamics are, since you got them mixed up above. You still should look them up for that reason.
I think you are expecting a technical definition for "proper thermodynamic system", when it just means proper "thermodynamic system", where proper is just a non-technical English word, and thermodynamic system is just a system that obeys thermodynamics, which is basically anything that isn't some make-believe model.

I have this question which I don't know how to start with and the teacher assistant isn't well responsive in the email.

Maybe you know better than me:

We have: the equations of system: ##u =3/2 pv , p=av T^n##, I first was ask to find ##T(u,v), p(u,v)## which I found (##n## is an integer and ##a## some constant).
Now I am asked to find for which values of ##n## is the system a proper theormodynamic system?

I thought of using ##dS \ge 0## in the end I got that: ##n \ge constant/ (av^3 \ln T)##, I thought that since should be valid for every ##T>0## then when ##T\ to \infty## we get: ##n \ge 0##, but I am not sure.

Do you know of this problem before?
I searched my reference with no help.

1. What is a proper thermodynamic system?

A proper thermodynamic system refers to a closed and isolated physical system that can exchange energy, but not matter, with its surroundings. It follows the basic principles of thermodynamics, including the conservation of energy and the increase of entropy.

2. How is a proper thermodynamic system different from an open system?

A proper thermodynamic system is different from an open system in that it does not allow for the exchange of matter with its surroundings. In contrast, an open system can exchange both energy and matter with its environment.

3. What are the basic components of a proper thermodynamic system?

A proper thermodynamic system is typically composed of a working substance, a boundary, and a surrounding environment. The working substance is the material or substance undergoing the thermodynamic process, while the boundary defines the system's limits. The surrounding environment is the external surroundings with which the system can exchange energy.

4. Can a proper thermodynamic system exist in nature?

Yes, proper thermodynamic systems can exist in nature. The Earth's atmosphere and a closed container filled with gas are examples of proper thermodynamic systems. However, they are not perfect systems, as some energy and matter can still enter or exit the system.

5. How are thermodynamic systems used in real-world applications?

Thermodynamic systems are used in various industries, such as in power plants, refrigeration systems, and engines. They are also essential in understanding and predicting weather patterns and climate change. Additionally, thermodynamic principles are applied in the design and optimization of chemical and manufacturing processes.