Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A public piano concert

1. May 26, 2014 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Even if this performance was "staged", it was pretty good:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2
    I saw this video a couple weeks ago. Watched it a few times. Really fun and talented guy. I always daydreamed that if I had a talent that I could have fun with publicly that I'd do it as much as I could. How cool!

4. May 26, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, this "pianos in subway stations" is a real thing and has drawn some amazing talent. It was done in several to spiff up otherwise dreary places. I read about one prodigy who went to one of them to practice because he had no piano at home but he was so good that folks enjoyed his "practice as much as they would most peoples professional playing".

5. May 26, 2014 #4

disregardthat

Science Advisor

How is the audio recorded? I hear some non-piano play in the back and there is no noise whatsoever.

6. May 26, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://www.streetpianos.com/

7. May 26, 2014 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is probably a small microphone inside the piano. That would give pretty good protection against random noise from the surroundings.

8. May 26, 2014 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sigh. How i'd love to acquire such a skill.
    That music just picks up and carries one along. I can imagine Rachmaninoff would've liked it.

Thanks for posting it.

9. May 27, 2014 #8

trollcast

Gold Member

I seen a comment on the youtube video comments from the maker of the video and he said the audio was recorded with an audio recorder that was placed behind the piano close to the ground. The drum like sound is probably something loose inside the piano mechanism that is rattling around or resononating.

10. May 27, 2014 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook