1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Pulley System containing two double pulleys having a mechanical advantage of 6?

1. Mar 30, 2004 #1
    How is this possible? Someone tell me please.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2004 #2
    2 single pulleys means 3 lengths of rope (one side to first pulley, first pulley to second pulley, second pulley to second side), hence a mechanical advantage of 3.

2 double pulleys has twice the number of lengths of ropes, so we have 6 lengths of rope, and therefore a mechanical advangtage of 6.

cookiemonster

4. Mar 31, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A single pulley by itself may or may not provide a mechanical advantage. My advice o you, clz2 - draw it.

5. Mar 31, 2004 #4
    Cookiemonster,
    Can you draw out your description? I am having trouble following the wording. I thought I understood what you said, but when I try to sketch it myself, I am a bit confused. I think that one side of the rope is attaching to the center of pulley one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?