Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Pulley System containing two double pulleys having a mechanical advantage of 6?

1. Mar 30, 2004 #1
    How is this possible? Someone tell me please.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2004 #2
    2 single pulleys means 3 lengths of rope (one side to first pulley, first pulley to second pulley, second pulley to second side), hence a mechanical advantage of 3.

2 double pulleys has twice the number of lengths of ropes, so we have 6 lengths of rope, and therefore a mechanical advangtage of 6.

cookiemonster

4. Mar 31, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A single pulley by itself may or may not provide a mechanical advantage. My advice o you, clz2 - draw it.

5. Mar 31, 2004 #4
    Cookiemonster,
    Can you draw out your description? I am having trouble following the wording. I thought I understood what you said, but when I try to sketch it myself, I am a bit confused. I think that one side of the rope is attaching to the center of pulley one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?