Can a sphere in pure rolling motion ever slow down?

In summary, a sphere rolling on a rough surface will begin to roll at a certain time based on its translation velocity and the coefficient of kinetic friction. The sphere's angular velocity and linear velocity will also be at this time. Resistance will slow the sphere down. A sphere which is executing pure rolling motion will never slow down.
andyrk

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of radius R is given a translation velocity vo on a rough surface of coefficient of kinetic friction=coefficient of static friction=μ. After what time does the sphere begin pure rolling? Also find the the angular velocity and linear velocity of the sphere at this time.

This was was found out and calculated by me. My question/doubt was something other which is not in the question. If once the sphere begins pure rolling does its angular velocity and linear velocity become constant? Or will it stop due to rolling friction? It is the same as saying that will the linear acceleration and angular acceleration of the sphere be the same once it has begun pure rolling? I think it should not have constant velocity and angular acceleration because even if it is pure rolling static friction is acting. Does that slow or speed up the sphere?

Also, can a sphere which is executing pure rolling motion ever slow down? If yes then how?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
andyrk said:

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of radius R is given a translation velocity vo on a rough surface of coefficient of kinetic friction=coefficient of static friction=μ. After what time does the sphere begin pure rolling? Also find the the angular velocity and linear velocity of the sphere at this time.

This was was found out and calculated by me. My question/doubt was something other which is not in the question. If once the sphere begins pure rolling does its angular velocity and linear velocity become constant? Or will it stop due to rolling friction? It is the same as saying that will the linear acceleration and angular acceleration of the sphere be the same once it has begun pure rolling? I think it should not have constant velocity and angular acceleration because even if it is pure rolling static friction is acting. Does that slow or speed up the sphere?

Also, can a sphere which is executing pure rolling motion ever slow down? If yes then how?

Pure rolling is an ideal. In real situations rolling friction is always present. SO the sphere is going to slow down. When we say pure rolling there is only static friction acting which does no work and the sphere never slows down.

andyrk said:
Or will it stop due to rolling friction?
It will eventually stop due to rolling resistance, which is mostly related to energy lost during deformation and recovery at the point of contact (not friction).

Most these rolling problems are idealized and assume no losses due to rolling resistance, but do account for the energy converted to heat by sliding (kinetic, dynamic) friction.

So why is it said that rolling friction is very less than kinetic and static friction? Isn't it a resistance and not a frictional force? And How exactly is it a resistance force? I found this:
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/rolling.htm

You say resistance force but what is that? There are a lot of Normal reaction force at the points of contact. Is the resultant of all all them which provides a torque opposite to that of the motion called the rolling resistance force? And how do we know that rolling resistance force is very less as compared to kinetic or static friction? I also have a question related to this. Why is moment of Inertia (I) never greater than MR2?

andyrk said:
So why is it said that rolling friction is very less than kinetic and static friction?
I'm not aware of any standardised meaning of the term "rolling friction". It could mean rolling resistance, or it could refer to the usual sense of tangential friction in the case of an object rolling up or down an incline.
Isn't it a resistance and not a frictional force? And How exactly is it a resistance force? I found this:
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/rolling.htm
That's a fair description, but perhaps overly complex. If a rolling object is deformable, or rolling on a deformable surface, and there are energy losses associated with the deformation, it will be like it is rolling uphill slightly (or slightly more than the actual slope if not level). The normal force just in front of the point of maximum deformation will be greater than that just behind it, leading to a torque opposing the rolling.

1. What is a pure rolling motion?

A pure rolling motion is a type of motion that occurs when a rigid object rolls without slipping on a surface. In this motion, the object's center of mass moves in a straight line while its points of contact with the surface do not slip or slide.

2. How is a pure rolling motion different from sliding or slipping?

In a pure rolling motion, the object's points of contact with the surface do not slip or slide. This differs from sliding or slipping, where there is relative motion between the object and the surface at the points of contact.

3. What factors affect the occurrence of pure rolling?

The occurrence of pure rolling is affected by factors such as the shape, size, and material of the object, as well as the surface it is rolling on. The presence of external forces and friction also play a role in determining whether pure rolling will occur.

4. Can any object exhibit pure rolling?

No, not all objects can exhibit pure rolling. In order for pure rolling to occur, the object must have a circular or cylindrical shape and a non-slip surface. Additionally, the object must have a sufficient amount of rotational inertia to maintain a constant speed while rolling.

5. What are some real-world examples of pure rolling?

Some examples of pure rolling in the real world include a car's tires rolling on the road, a rolling ball or wheel, and a rolling coin or cylinder. Other examples include a rolling bowling ball, a rolling hoop, and a rolling marble on a flat surface.