1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A puzzle on light diffraction

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    Recently, I'm always thinking about why diffraction effects are generally most pronounced for the size of the diffracting objectsis that is on the order of the wavelength. How about a relatively bigger object?

I try to find it everywhere I can but failed. So anyone can help? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2
    Can you explain a bit more? what kind of objects are you talking about?
  4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    such as bending of waves around small obstacles and the spreading out of waves past small openings.
    A famous example:single-slit diffraction. If the slit is pretty large, then I guess there is no abvious diffaction.
  5. Dec 13, 2009 #4

Staff: Mentor

6. Dec 13, 2009 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The wave propagation of light is parameterized in terms of a specific length scale (the wavelength). That means the problem is in terms of ratios: wavelength/distance, for example. If wavelength/distance <<1, the appropriate diffraction term is small, while if wavelength/distance >>1, it's large. Note that 'distance' can be propagation distance, the size of a scattering object, or aperture diameter...

Does that help?
  7. Dec 14, 2009 #6
    I think you are right, thank you very much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook