A salt and petter puzzle

• Thread starter some_one
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation discusses possible methods for separating a mixture of salt and pepper without physically touching the mixture. Suggestions include using air force, static electricity, or a centrifuge, as well as slipping a solid object between the mixture and a balloon. However, some participants question whether these methods involve physical interaction or not.
some_one
we mix one spoon of salt
and one spoon of pepper together
and mix them

how to separate them without touching the mixed salt and pepper

no physical touching aloud

Physics news on Phys.org
If no physical touching allowed then we can't physically separate them.
Separating the salt and pepper pots is aloud?

like obama says
YES WE CAN

when do i need to post the answer to the puzzle?

Are the grains of equal size?

some_one said:
when do i need to post the answer to the puzzle?
Let it mature a bit, let people come along with suggestions and questions.

we need to separate them without touching the mix physicly

the granes are equal in size

first clue
acctually it doesn't matter

Equal density?Same form?

Pepper and salt have different melting points ... is that possible?

different mass?

what is your method of separation?

put some heat on it and evaporate chillies (collect somewhere : flash -- no touching)

2) Use air force...

Pepper doesn't melt.

Evo said:
Pepper doesn't melt.

sounds impossible..

I am considering something 1400 deg C or over...

I thought pepper has lower melting point than salt
(don't know what kind of bonds it has ... )

yeee but pepper which origins from a plant when heated
comes in contact with the oxigen in the air
and gets burned

which is not aloud

Take a balloon and rub it on a wool sweater, then hold it right above the mixture.

biiiiingooooo
you are correct

rootX said:
sounds impossible..

I am considering something 1400 deg C or over...
:biggrin: Wouldn't that would be more along the lines of incineration?

Evo said:
:biggrin: Wouldn't that would be more along the lines of incineration?

That never happened in my chemistry class/course/book :shy:

I actually mixed a pinch of salt and of pepper with the intention of boiling the mixture. I figured the pepper would drift to the bottom of the water and the salt would diffuse. Then after boiling the salt would form a crust above the pepper. But as soon as I put the mixture in the water, the salt sank to the bottom and the pepper floated on top. Separate.

static electricity is the answer

some_one said:
static electricity is the answer
Because electricity is not physical?

I have a better question, how do you separate a mix of salt and pepper using no energy?

some_one said:
OK, for future reference, it's 'allowed'. :wink:

Static electricity is still physical interaction for me. Anyways, with static electricity you grab pepper or salt?

Sakha said:
Static electricity is still physical interaction for me. Anyways, with static electricity you grab pepper or salt?

pepper

How about a centrifuge? I figure that salt is heavier than pepper.

Werg22 said:
How about a centrifuge? I figure that salt is heavier than pepper.
You can't have physical interaction, and getting the mix into a centrifuge without physically touching it would be pretty hard.

Sakha said:
Static electricity is still physical interaction for me.
It most distinctly is not.

You could slip a solid object such as a piece of paper between the balloon and the mixture. No physical contact.

DaveC426913 said:
It most distinctly is not.

You could slip a solid object such as a piece of paper between the balloon and the mixture. No physical contact.
It most distinctly is

You could slip a solid object such as a piece of glass between the balloon and the mixture. No separation.

jimmysnyder said:
It most distinctly is

You could slip a solid object such as a piece of glass between the balloon and the mixture. No separation.
You appear to be saying that "it most distinctly is" physical contact between the balloon and the mixture. Is that what you meant to say?

My point was I could slip something between balloon and mixture, demonstrating that no physical contact is necessary to in order to separate the substances.

1. What is a salt and pepper puzzle?

A salt and pepper puzzle is a type of logic puzzle that involves arranging a set of salt and pepper shakers in a specific pattern or order. The shakers are typically identical in size and shape, but have different colors or patterns to differentiate between the salt and pepper.

2. How do you solve a salt and pepper puzzle?

The key to solving a salt and pepper puzzle is to carefully observe the given clues and use deductive reasoning to eliminate possible combinations until you are left with the correct solution. It may also be helpful to physically move the shakers around to visualize different arrangements.

3. Are there different types of salt and pepper puzzles?

Yes, there are various types of salt and pepper puzzles, including ones with different numbers of shakers, shakers with different shapes or sizes, and puzzles with additional elements such as other types of food or objects.

4. Are salt and pepper puzzles just for fun or do they have real-world applications?

Salt and pepper puzzles are primarily used for entertainment and as a brain-teaser, but they can also help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They may also have some practical applications in fields such as mathematics and computer science.

5. Is there a specific strategy or approach to solving salt and pepper puzzles?

While there is no one set strategy for solving salt and pepper puzzles, some common approaches include starting with the most restrictive clues, using process of elimination, and creating a visual representation of the puzzle. Ultimately, the best strategy will vary depending on the specific puzzle and individual solving style.