How can you identify one of the three cards as an ace with just one question?

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation was about a puzzle where the goal was to identify one of three cards as an ace by asking a single yes or no question. The solution involved asking if the middle card was a jack, as a "no" answer would unambiguously identify the middle card as an ace. The conversation ended with the person feeling defeated, but ultimately realizing that only the answer matters, not the card being pointed to.
StephenPrivitera
Noting their locations I place two aces and a jack face down on a table in a row. You do not see which card is placed where. Your problem is to point to one of the cards and ask me a sinlge yes or no question, from the answer to which you can, with certainty, identify one of the three cards as an ace. If you pointed to one of the aces, I will answer your question truthfully. If you pointed to the jack, I will answer yes or no at random. Remember, you get only one question.

From the problem, I can guess that the answer to the question I ask must expose only one of the aces, for if it exposed the jack or two aces, the location of all the cards would be known, and the problem only asks to find one ace. That's not hard reasoning, but a good guess.
The problem that I run into in this problem is that the answer to the question is ambiguous. It is difficult to distinguish between an honest answer and a false answer which are the same. I must find a question for which the answer "yes" unambiguously identifies a card as does the answer "no."
Just a hint please?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Puzzle Solved.

Hmm... I'm not sure if I'm breaking any of the rules, because I'm not sure if I understand the game... However, this is my solution.

When you ask your question, point at the card on the left hand side and ask "Is the middle card a jack?"

Therefore, if you say "no"... the possible positionings of the cards include: A A J(since you pointed at the ace, they must tell the truth)and J A A (since you pointed at the jack they could lie, therefore the jack would have to be in the left hand position)... As you can see, either way, if they say no then the middle card must be an ace.

If you say "Yes"... then the possible positionings of the cards include: A J A(since you pointed at the ace, they are telling the truth) and J A A(since you pointed at the jack they could lie meaning the left would be the jack)... leaving only the right card that has to be an ace.

I'm not sure, is this right?

Yes, that's right...
Hmmm...
I feel defeated.
Thank you for your help.
I was too concerned with knowing whether I was pointing to the ace of the jack. But it doesn't matter. Only the answer matters.

hehehe... No problem. :)

1. How do you solve the Ace Puzzle?

To solve the Ace Puzzle, you must first arrange the 6 playing cards into a pyramid shape with the Ace at the top and the 5 other cards forming the base. Then, you must remove one card at a time from the base and place it on top of the pyramid until all cards are in the correct order.

2. What is the strategy for solving the Ace Puzzle?

The key strategy for solving the Ace Puzzle is to always have the Ace card on top of the pyramid. This ensures that the other cards can be arranged in the correct order without any interference.

3. How long does it take to solve the Ace Puzzle?

The time it takes to solve the Ace Puzzle varies depending on the individual's problem-solving skills. Some people may solve it quickly while others may take longer. The important thing is to stay patient and focused on the task at hand.

4. Are there any tips for solving the Ace Puzzle?

One helpful tip is to start by arranging the cards in a way that allows for easy movement and placement. Also, pay attention to which cards are on the base and which are on top, as this can affect the final outcome.

5. Can the Ace Puzzle be solved in different ways?

Yes, there are multiple ways to solve the Ace Puzzle. Some people may use a different starting arrangement or a different method of moving the cards. The important thing is to end up with the Ace card on top and the other cards in the correct order.