Understanding the Gibbs Phenomenon in Fourier Series: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter joriarty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the given formula involves a limit as N goes to infinity, and shows the relationship between a sum and an integral involving sine functions. The 't' that is mentioned may be a substitution and the problem has been solved by correcting a variable.
joriarty
Show that [PLAIN]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3411/screenshot20101011at115.png [Broken]

I really don't know where to start with this. It is the very last question of an assignment on Fourier series and the Gibbs Phenomenon, if that is relevant I can give more details but I don't think it is. It's just algebra from here.

I have no idea where the 't' has come from (not mentioned at any earlier stage in the assignment), but I think this might be some sort of substitution? Perhaps it is some sort of standard integral I'm not familiar with?

Could I please have a hint if you can see how this could be done? Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim _{N \rightarrow \infty} \frac 4 \pi \sum ^{N-1} _{n=0} \frac {\sin(\frac {(2n+1)\pi} {2n})} {2n+1} = \frac 2 \pi \int _0 ^\pi \frac {\sin (t)} {t} dt[/tex]

:wink:

Borek said:
[tex]\lim _{N \rightarrow \infty} \frac 4 \pi \sum ^{N-1} _{n=0} \frac {\sin(\frac {(2n+1)\pi} {2n})} {2n+1} = \frac 2 \pi \int _0 ^\pi \frac {\sin (t)} {t} dt[/tex]

:wink:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there, beyond restating the initial problem. I just managed to figure it out anyway, I had an 'n' in there that should have been an 'N'. Problem solved, assignment done :D

I have seen you struggling with the LaTeX and finally deciding to post an image - as you see, forum LaTeX is perfectly capable of displaying the formula.

1. What is a puzzling integration?

A puzzling integration is a scientific term that refers to the process of combining different elements or components in a way that is unexpected or challenging to understand. It often involves complex systems or phenomena that are difficult to explain or predict.

2. What are some examples of puzzling integrations?

Examples of puzzling integrations include the interactions between different species in an ecosystem, the fusion of different types of cells in embryonic development, and the combination of different scientific theories to explain a phenomenon.

3. Why is puzzling integration important in science?

Puzzling integration is important because it allows scientists to better understand and explain complex systems and phenomena. By studying puzzling integrations, scientists can gain insights into the underlying mechanisms and processes that drive these systems, leading to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.

4. How do scientists approach puzzling integrations?

Scientists approach puzzling integrations by using a combination of observation, experimentation, and analytical thinking. They often use mathematical models, computer simulations, and other tools to help them understand and make predictions about how different elements or components interact with each other.

5. Can puzzling integrations ever be fully explained and understood?

It is possible for some puzzling integrations to be fully explained and understood, but there will always be new and complex systems or phenomena to explore and discover. Science is an ongoing process of learning and discovery, and puzzling integrations will continue to challenge and inspire scientists for generations to come.