What is the formula for calculating nett work done in a thermodynamic cycle?

In summary, the conversation discusses an ideal gas undergoing a thermodynamic cycle with 2 isobaric and 2 isothermal processes. The goal is to show that the nett work done by the gas is equal to P1( V2-V1)ln ( P2/P1). The individual involved has been struggling with the problem and requests assistance. They mention that they understand the work done for the isothermal processes AB and CD, but are unsure about the volume of the gas at points B and D.
Wen
An ideal gas is carried through a thermodynamic cycle consisting of 2 isobaric and 2 isothermal processes.

Show that the nett work done is

W=P1( V2-V1)ln ( P2/P1)

i am really stuck at this qn for very long. Please help me

Attachments

• P1010218.jpg
    P1010218.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you mean you have been working on it for a long time! Show us what you think you do understand about the problem and what work you have already done.

i know that Work done by the gas is
nRTIn( Vf/Vi) and this is only for the two isothermal processes
Since BC and DA are isobaric, the 2 isothermal processes are AB and CD.
The nett work done is the shaded area in the diagram.
But i do not know the volume of the gas at B & D.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that studies the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, and how they affect matter.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

There are four laws of thermodynamics: the zeroth law, which defines thermal equilibrium; the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted; the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time; and the third law, which states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

How is thermodynamics used in real life?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in the design of engines and power plants, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and even in cooking and food preservation. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to understand and predict the behavior of materials and systems.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. Heat is the transfer of energy from a higher temperature object to a lower temperature object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measurement of how hot or cold something is.

What is the relationship between thermodynamics and entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. Thermodynamics is closely related to entropy, as the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that as energy is transferred or converted, the amount of usable energy decreases and the amount of disorder (entropy) increases. In other words, thermodynamics helps us understand how and why processes tend towards a state of increasing disorder.