1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quadratic problem

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1
    I have been given a root of 4, a y-intercept of 12 and a known point of (2,8). I have then been asked to write the equation in the form of y=a(x^2)+bx+c

I am assuming the relevant equations are: y=a(x-"alpha")(x-"beta")

Ok, so I know that c=12, but I can't see how I draw the a and b part of the general form from the facts that I have been given. I tried the y=a(x-"alpha")(x-"beta") equation in hopes that I could then expand it out to general form. In this equation alpha=4, however when I substitute y and x with the point (2,8) I am still left with 2 variables: beta and a.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Cat
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have done everything correctly, the next step is to set up a system of equations using the data you have been given. You know that when you substitute the root in for x, the result must be zero. When you substitute 2 in for x, the result must be 8 [from your point (2,8)];

16a + 4b + 12 & = & 0\\
    4b + 2b + 12 & = & 8

From this you should be able to solve for the coefficients of x (a & b). Can you go from here?
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  4. Jan 4, 2007 #3
    I can go on from here. Thank you very much!
  5. Jan 4, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My pleasure :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?