What exactly do EE's do during their day of work?

• Thread starter Liam Semeniuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: I might be working on a different project. EE's typically have a mix of technical and non-technical skills, depending on the company and the position. A lot of the time, people new to EE are surprised to learn that we are not just computer scientists. We need to be comfortable with math, science, engineering design principles, and manufacturing processes. Overall, I think EE's are a very valuable resource for companies. We are able to bring a lot of different skills and perspectives to the table, and we have a great understanding of how products work and how to improve them.
Liam Semeniuk
First off: Hello everybody. I'm new to this site. I'm approaching my second year in the engineering discipline. I've decided to go to the EE Co-op route (which basically means EE w/ job experience over work terms).

My first question to you is an easy one, I hope:

What exactly do EE's do during their day of work? Do they head projects? Or do they watch monitors and make sure everything is working? Or is it a combination of both, depending on your level of experience? Do EE's design circuits all day? Any help would be appreciated because I don't know any engineers and can't ask anybody in my personal life. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will get many different answers to that question. There are many different specialties in EE, and several levels within each specialty. For myself, I have worked at several different companies, generally in the R&D Lab section, designing and developing new products. The groups are project-based, with each project developing one or more products at a time. The product design cycle starts with an investigation, then development, then construction and testing, documentation, and release to manufacturing. After that release, there is typically some level of support that we provide to our Sales and Applications departments, answering customer questions and helping to debug any field problems.

You can typically be involved in several different projects at the same time, but other times you are focused on a single product. I am typically split among several projects, and those projects are typically at different stages. So in one of my days, I might be doing SPICE simulations of a new analog circuit, and running a reliability test of a different circuit in an oven chamber, and writing some manufacturing test code in C or Tcl for a different product that is getting close to release, and writing some documentation for an upcoming developer's conference. And then after lunch...

As an EE, a typical day of work can vary depending on the specific job and industry. However, some common tasks and responsibilities may include designing and testing electrical systems and components, troubleshooting and repairing equipment, collaborating with other engineers and team members, and managing projects.

Some EE's may primarily focus on design work, creating and modifying circuit diagrams and layouts using software tools. Others may spend more time on the field, installing and maintaining equipment, or conducting experiments and collecting data for research and development purposes.

As you gain experience and advance in your career, you may also take on more managerial roles, such as overseeing a team of engineers, coordinating projects, and making strategic decisions for the company.

Overall, EE's use their technical knowledge and problem-solving skills to ensure that electrical systems and equipment are functioning properly and efficiently. It can be a challenging but rewarding profession, with opportunities for growth and innovation in various industries.

What is the role of an EE in their day-to-day work?

Electrical engineers (EEs) are responsible for designing, developing, and testing electrical systems and components. They may work on a variety of projects, from improving existing systems to creating new technologies.

What are the main tasks that EEs perform during their work day?

EEs may spend their day designing and prototyping new systems, analyzing data and test results, troubleshooting and repairing existing systems, and collaborating with other engineers and team members. They may also participate in meetings, research new technologies, and create reports.

What skills are necessary for EEs to be successful in their job?

EEs need to have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as knowledge of principles and theories related to electrical engineering. They also need to have strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team.

Are there any specific tools or software programs that EEs use in their work?

EEs may use a variety of tools and software programs in their work, depending on their specific job and projects. Some common tools and programs include computer-aided design (CAD) software, simulation software, and programming languages such as C++ and MATLAB.

What are some of the potential career paths for EEs?

EEs can work in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, power generation and distribution, electronics, and aerospace. They may also advance into management positions or pursue research and development roles in academia or in the private sector.