1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about a function

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    Suppose fn:[0,p/q] → ℝ be a function defined by :
    [itex]f_{n}(x) = \frac{x^{n}(1-qx)^{n}}{n!}[/itex] where p,n and q are natural numbers .

Is that true that [itex]f_{n}^{(2n)}[/itex] is always an integer for any natural number n .

Thanks .

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The function is a polynomial with highest order term qnx2n/n! Taking 2n derivatives, the lower order terms all = 0. This highest term ends up as qn(2n)!/n!, so the answer is yes.

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3

ok that is was I tried to show but the step I was stuck in that if we differentiate x^n , ntimes we will have n! , so I don't know if I have proved it in the right way , I had done this by induction , where if n=1 , we will have (x^1)' = 1 = 1! , and hence we will assume that this true for any k , and then we will prove that this true for k+1 as following

[itex]\frac{d^{k+1}}{dx^{k+1}} x^{k+1} = \frac{d^{k}}{dx^{k}} ( \frac{d}{dx} x^{k+1} ) = \frac{d^{k}}{dx^{k}} (k+1)(x) = (k+1) \frac{d^{k}}{dx^{k}} x^{k} = (k+1).k! = (k+1)![/itex]

And hence we have the result is true . Afterthat I use the binomial theorem to expand the polynomial fn and differentiate each term 2n times all will be zero except the leading term and then our result follows . is these arguments are true

5. Dec 7, 2011 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far as I can tell you are saying the same thing I did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook