Boat A Wins by 40 Minutes: Solving a Boat Race Across a 70-km Lake

• Thread starter carrollk9
  • Start date
In summary: But in this case, with only two sig figs in the original velocity of 70 km/h, 47 km is too many digits, so 46 km would be more appropriate.In summary, Boat A wins the race by 40 minutes, completing the round trip in 2 hours while Boat B takes 2 hours and 40 minutes. The distance traveled by Boat A during this time is 46 kilometers.
carrollk9

Homework Statement

Two boats start together and race across a 70-km-wide lake and back. Boat A goes across at 70 km/h and returns at 70 km/h. Boat B goes across at 35 km/h, and its crew, realizing how far behind it is getting, returns at 105 km/h. Turnaround times are negligible, and the boat that completes the round trip first wins.

Boat A wins but by how much?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I entered into a velocity calculator to determine that it would take Boat A 2hours to finish the course while it would take Boat B 2hrs 40 min to complete the course or simply put boat A wins by 40min

70kmh at 40 minutes would travel 46.667km and yet when I enter the answer for my online homework thingy it says it wrong even when I enter it as 46, 46.6,46.66, and 46.667

What am I missing hear?

Physics news on Phys.org
carrollk9 said:

Homework Statement

Two boats start together and race across a 70-km-wide lake and back. Boat A goes across at 70 km/h and returns at 70 km/h. Boat B goes across at 35 km/h, and its crew, realizing how far behind it is getting, returns at 105 km/h. Turnaround times are negligible, and the boat that completes the round trip first wins.

Boat A wins but by how much?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I entered into a velocity calculator to determine that it would take Boat A 2hours to finish the course while it would take Boat B 2hrs 40 min to complete the course or simply put boat A wins by 40min

70kmh at 40 minutes would travel 46.667km and yet when I enter the answer for my online homework thingy it says it wrong even when I enter it as 46, 46.6,46.66, and 46.667

What am I missing hear?
Well, you are not rounding 46.666666... correctly, for one thing. Instead of rounding, you are truncating the decimal by chopping off the extra digits.

46.6666... would be either 46.67, 46.7, or just 47, depending on how many sig figs you wish to carry.

What are the different types of boats?

There are several different types of boats, including sailboats, motorboats, canoes, kayaks, and rowboats. Each type has its own unique characteristics and uses.

How do boats float?

Boats float due to a principle called buoyancy. This is the upward force exerted by a fluid, such as water, on an object placed in it. The shape and weight distribution of the boat allow it to displace enough water to counteract its weight, keeping it afloat.

What are the safety precautions for boating?

Safety precautions for boating include wearing life jackets, knowing and following boating laws and regulations, having proper safety equipment on board, and being aware of weather conditions. It is also important to have a designated driver if consuming alcohol while boating.

How do boats navigate?

Boats navigate using a variety of methods, including maps, GPS, and visual cues such as landmarks and buoys. They also use instruments such as compasses, depth finders, and radar to determine their location and route.

How are boats used for scientific research?

Boats are used for scientific research in a variety of fields, such as oceanography, marine biology, and environmental science. They are equipped with specialized equipment for collecting data and samples, and they allow scientists to access remote or difficult-to-reach areas for study.