What is the boost hamiltonian in the Unruh effect?

• Thread starter naima
  • Start date
In summary: If the particle is accelerated, the detector would record a spike in ##\phi## and the theory would provide a theory of what this spike represents.
naima
Gold Member
I am reading this Jacobson's paper
he writes:
According to the Unruh effect the Minkowski vacuum state of quantum fields—or any state at
very short distances— is a thermal state with respect to the boost hamiltonian at temperature
T.
I know that the accelerated observer is in a thermal environment, but i do not see what is this "boost hamiltonian". Can you write it?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This paper may offer insights:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.5325v1.pdf
Horizon energy as the boost boundary term in general relativity and loop gravity
Try the last several paragraphs related to eq (9).

A Google search for 'boost Hamiltonian' brings up lots of hits.

Refer to the discussion of Rindler space at http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Unruh_effect, specifically the coordinate transformation a few lines below eq. (1) which relates ##(t,z)## of Minkowski space to the ##(\tau,\xi)## of Rindler space. The boost Killing vector in the ##z## direction of Minkowski space is
$$ z \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + t \frac{\partial}{\partial z} = \frac{\partial}{\partial \tau}.~~~(*)$$
Examining the mode expansion eq. (2), we see that the modes are eigenfunctions of the boosts with eigenvalues ## i \Omega_k##. In the thermal expansion, we Wick rotate ##\tau## to ##i \beta##, with ##\beta## the inverse temperature, so the eigenvalues become real and positive. Then the thermal distribution (5) is recognized as what we would have computed from a theory where we used the boost (*) as the Hamiltonian.

Last edited:
Thanks
I found a good paper about the subject.
It describes the semiclassical QFT on curved spacetime. Here ##\phi## is a solution of the motion equation.
Its modes are "planes waves" a) in Minkowski b) in the wedges of accelerated observer.
The Bogoliubov machinery gives an elegant solution to the unruh effect.
It uses no explicit Wick rotation. Is there an analogous theory of statistical mecanics in curved space(time)?
What is the status in this theory or ##\phi## and its modes?

naima said:
Thanks
I found a good paper about the subject.
It describes the semiclassical QFT on curved spacetime. Here ##\phi## is a solution of the motion equation.
Its modes are "planes waves" a) in Minkowski b) in the wedges of accelerated observer.
The Bogoliubov machinery gives an elegant solution to the unruh effect.

The analysis there is completely standard and equivalent to that in the link I provided.

It uses no explicit Wick rotation. Is there an analogous theory of statistical mecanics in curved space(time)?

The interpretation of (2.37) as a thermal spectrum does not need an explicit calculation. Your original question asked how does one obtain the Planck spectrum from the "boost Hamiltonian", which is what I answered. According to the methodology of thermal field theory, one Wick rotates to imaginary time. One is left with QFT on a spacetime with Euclidean signature and the time variable is made periodic with period equal to the inverse temperature. One can do this in curved spacetime as well.

What is the status in this theory or ##\phi## and its modes?

The idea is that the Rindler observer would be carrying a particle detector that could detect ##\phi## particles.

1. What is the boost Hamiltonian in the Unruh effect?

The boost Hamiltonian in the Unruh effect is a mathematical operator that describes the effects of acceleration on a quantum field. It is used to calculate the change in energy and momentum of a quantum field as it is accelerated in a curved spacetime.

2. How does the boost Hamiltonian affect the Unruh effect?

The boost Hamiltonian plays a crucial role in the Unruh effect by determining the magnitude of the energy and momentum fluctuations experienced by a quantum field due to acceleration. Without it, the Unruh effect would not be accurately predicted.

3. Is the boost Hamiltonian the same as the Hamiltonian in other quantum field theories?

No, the boost Hamiltonian in the Unruh effect is unique to this specific scenario of a quantum field in a curved spacetime. It is not the same as the Hamiltonian used in other quantum field theories, which describe different physical systems.

4. How is the boost Hamiltonian derived?

The boost Hamiltonian is derived using mathematical methods from quantum field theory and general relativity. It involves solving complex equations and making certain assumptions about the behavior of the quantum field in a curved spacetime.

5. Can the boost Hamiltonian be applied to other physical phenomena?

While the boost Hamiltonian is specific to the Unruh effect, the mathematical techniques used to derive it can be applied to other physical phenomena involving quantum fields and curved spacetime. However, the specific form of the boost Hamiltonian may be different in these cases.