1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about calorimetry

1. Mar 26, 2005 #1

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't found my textbooks on physical chemistry, so I want to ask the forum members.

When we heat 4 liters of water from 10°C to 90°C, and add this to 16 liters of water at 10°C, what will the final temperature be?

My brainstorming revealed the following, but I'm not sure if they are correct or not (my physical chemistry really sucks):

I am almost sure it is wrong, so could anybody please show me the very logic of this type of calorimetric problem?

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2005 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have a total of 20 liters, not 16. That help?

4. Mar 26, 2005 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]mc(x-90)=m_2c(x-10)[/tex]

-x represents the equilibrium temperature

-heat lost by the 90 degree water is gained by 10 degree water

I'm pretty sure this is correct

5. Mar 26, 2005 #4
    Let me try:

[tex](\mbox{heat lost})=-(\mbox{heat gained})[/tex]
    [tex](mc\Delta t)_{1}=-(mc\Delta t)_{2}[/tex]
    [tex](4\mbox{kg})(4.19\mbox{kJ/kg}\cdot^{\circ}\mbox{C})({t_{f}-90^{\circ}°\mbox{C})=-(16\mbox{kg})(4.19\mbox{kJ/(kg}\cdot^{\circ}\mbox{C})({t_{f}-10^{\circ}\mbox{C})[/tex]

Solving for [itex]t_{f}[/itex] gives 26°C.

6. Mar 27, 2005 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I will try it slightly other way - let's assume 10 deg C is a 'basic' state. Your heating adds 4*1000*80 calories. Now you use that heat in the 20000 ml of water. So your delta T is 4*1000*80/20000 = 16 which gives final temperature of 26 and is exactly the same result Sirus posted.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
    BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

7. Mar 27, 2005 #6

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oookay, so I have made the error of not considering the total volume as Bystander suggested; my logic doesn't seem so wrong. Thank you all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?