1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about charge

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Charge is a physical property of matter.There are 2 types of charges,positive and negative.
    However,what is charge?
    We can see the effect of charge simply by taking a rod of hard rubber and rub it with fur.
    But it appears that no one is able to define what exactly charge is.
    Why did some subatomic particles possess charges?Why does charge exists?
    In addition,why there are only 2 types of charges,but not more?
    Those questions really really confused me,can someone please explain them to me :( ?
    Thx everyone.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A property of particles.

Physics cannot answer "what" something is, that is philosophy. Physics gives a way to describe how something will behave.

4. Mar 9, 2013 #3
    Ok,I will try to accept it :O/,thx
    There is still a question:
    Could physics explain why 2 charged object will exert a force on each other?What causes them either to repel or attract?

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Physics cannot explain "why" on a fundamental level. It can be described with very abstract theories (here: quantum electrodynamics), but those theories are always made to match the observations (like attracting and repelling charges).

6. Mar 10, 2013 #5
    A philisophical interjection !!!!.....Physics can 'answer' what....it does not require an answer, it is a description of observations.
    Physics sets out to explain 'HOW' things happen.
    Physics cannot answer 'WHY'.... it is a bad question (God wills it to be so is the best answer)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted