Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about dimension

1. Mar 13, 2005 #1
    let suppose we have an hypercube in R^4 then m y question is how many 3-dimensional cubes could we put inside our hypercube?...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A rhetorical question for you to ponder: how many squares are there in a cube?

4. Mar 13, 2005 #3

If you mean "How many cube faces does a hyper-cube have"?
    then 8, possibly

otherwise your question doesn't make sense, as there is no number of 3-dimensional cubes that we could put inside a hypercube.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  5. Mar 13, 2005 #4
    the question is let,s suppose we have a four dimensional space,then could we put inside this four dimensional space our 3-dimensional space?,i think the question has been answered when considering a plane made by an infinite numer of curves or a line made by an infinite numer of points

6. Mar 13, 2005 #5
    Is the statement [tex]\mathbb{R}^3 \subseteq \mathbb{R}^4[/tex] true? (Hint: NO!!!!)

7. Mar 13, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good point. (But there is, of course, a subset of R4 that is diffeomorphic to R3.)

8. Mar 13, 2005 #7
    True. And now that I think about it, my original post isn't anything close to a good answer to the original question at all~

9. Mar 14, 2005 #8

Aki

there are infinite squares in a cube. so to draw a conclusion: there are infinite cubes in a hypercube.

10. Mar 14, 2005 #9
    I don't really understand the erm "put inside". What if a squre is bigger than the face of a cube? Wouldn't the cube only be able to contain squares that are smaller than or equal to the size of its faces?

11. Mar 14, 2005 #10

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Only if they weren't on curved surfaces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?