A Question about Effect of Surface Area on Loudness

• B
  • Thread starter Kaneki123
  • Start date
Okay... I have a question about "effect of surface area on loudness".I am going to upload a diagram along this post.It shows two scenarios. The "red thing" is a barrier, which allows absolutely no air contact between the speaker and the listener. So the only way the sound can travel outside is through the red solid. My question is simple, is the sound from the speaker going to be louder for the listener in the second case (the case with the greater surface area) than in the first case???.....Any help is appreciated

Answers and Replies

This is the diagram

Attachments

• Yo.png
    Yo.png
    12 KB · Views: 456
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
This is the diagram
The two rectangles with the speakers in them are very stylised. In reality, they would need to be thick concrete boxes.
The results would depend on the material that the Red plugs are made of. The T shaped one could produce more sound because there is a bigger area to disturb the air in front of it - so more power injected. Otoh, if the red material is very lossy, the T shape could let less sound through.
So there is no definitive answer, I fear.

PS PF doesn't approve of multiple threads about the same topic. It would have been better to continue your original thread.