How do living beings evolve in a universe with increasing entropy?

• Thread starter Deepak K Kapur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary: But, if we spread the icing evenly(uniformly), it is 'ordered'...If icing is to be spread on a cake and we do it in lumps (boundaries), it is disorderedYou are confusing "ugly" with "disordered". Just because you have an aesthetic preference for smooth rather than lumps doesn't mean it is more ordered. If you start with big lumps with sharp boundaries and randomly perturb it (e.g. heat or vibration) then you can get smooth icing and the boundaries will reduce. If you start with smooth icing and randomly perturb it then you will not suddenly get big lumps with sharp boundaries. Despite your efforts, you will not be able to smooth out an arbitrarily
Having read several articles on nanosystems, which defy the 2nd law; I have to wonder if a macro system comprised of multiple linked nanosystems could produce more output than input? And if not, why not?

If searching for the articles I found, include this in your search: /small-systems-defy-second-law

Science news on Phys.org
SWB123 said:
Having read several articles
Please cite the specific articles. Keep in mind that the research being done on fluctuation theorems is often portrayed incorrectly by popular media sources.

SWB123 said:
If searching for the articles I found, include this in your search: /small-systems-defy-second-law
First hit with exact title from PhysicsWorld.com, the last paragraph sums it up well: "Evans and colleagues say that their discovery could be important in the design of nanomachines. They also point out that as thermodynamic systems become smaller, the probability that they will run ‘in reverse’ increases, and this could improve our understanding of how many small biological systems – such as ‘protein motors’ – work." Totally not an entropy situation, as there are outside influences...

SWB123 said:
This isn't about me needing help doing a search, it was about finding out what sources you were using. As I predicted above, all three of these articles are popular science sources which are mischaracrerizing the work being done on fluctuation theorems (at least the first and third are, but I only read the beginning of the second).

This is why pop sci sources are not considered valid, particularly for easily distortable topics like fluctuation theorem work.

Likes NFuller
SWB123 said:
Having read several articles on nanosystems, which defy the 2nd law; I have to wonder if a macro system comprised of multiple linked nanosystems could produce more output than input? And if not, why not?
The fluctuation theorem work is not about defying the 2nd law. It is about deriving the 2nd law as a classical limit of a deeper statistical mechanics law.

As their name indicates, they are about fluctuations, often fluctuations about an equilibrium. The question they address is, statistically, how long would you expect fluctuations away from equilibrium to last. Even these small systems do not decrease entropy for long, nor predictably.

SWB123 said:

I'm also skeptical here. From what I understand, it's not that there is more output than input, its that some quantum systems appear to be able to do work without dumping any heat and therefore have a thermodynamic efficiency of unity.

Also remember that you cannot scale up most quantum systems while still keeping the quantum effects.

Deepak K Kapur said:
I think 99.999999% of people on this planet only acquire stuff along the way...

It's only a miniscule minority that ever says something new...
Minuscule, not miniscule,

There is also entropy in communications theory, i.e. average self-information per message or symbol. For a group of N equally probable symbols this is log2 N.

Deepak K Kapur said:
Our universe is considered a closed system. Law says that the entropy of a closed system is bound to increase.

Then how could living beings evolve when they are an extremely ordered system?
Things can be ordered (inefficiently) using energy. You can stack things up. They may fall later, but you can again take energy and stack them. The tendency to disorder can be defeated locally using energy.

If you take a bunch of calories in, as sugar, you can convert that sugar to carbon dioxide, and use the energy to create order within your cells. The overall process, of burning sugar, breathing in oxygen and out carbon dioxide, giving off waste heat to the air ... the overall process is one where the entropy increases. But the microscopic view of the cell shows the order THERE increasing.

The Earth is not a closed system. It has an energy input (the sun). That energy is used by living organisms to create order. Living things are engines that take in energy, and (inefficiently) do work. Living things evolved because there were energetically favorable conditions.

EDIT: Another stab at it. Consider a burning piece of wood, going from an ordered state to a bunch of smoke, ash, and combustion gases. Along with a healthy dose of heat. Now suppose you put a crucible of ore above it and make a small ingot of metal and then forge a ring. You have managed to generate an improbably well ordered thing. But the entire process, including the fire, was one with increasing entropy.

The universe may be a closed system that is increasing in entropy. That does not mean that entropy is uniformly increasing at every location. The forged ring was a location that decreased in entropy, even as the overall system increased in entropy.

Last edited:
Likes BruceW
votingmachine said:
If you take a bunch of calories in, as sugar, you can convert that sugar to carbon dioxide, and use the energy to create order within your cells. The overall process, of burning sugar, breathing in oxygen and out carbon dioxide, giving off waste heat to the air ... the overall process is one where the entropy increases. But the microscopic view of the cell shows the order THERE increasing.

While I would agree that cells use energy to create, maintain, and restore some order in themselves, biological organisms also have other ways of maintaining/creating order.

For example, molecules in organisms can sort out into sub-cellular groups based on adhesion properties between themselves (things that strongly stick to each other will tend to end up in a group together).
For proteins, properties like this would be due to the details of their encoding DNA sequences, which direct the production of the proper protein amino acid sequence.
The energy immediately used in the currently living cell would be put into production of the encoded proteins (this would be like a proximate cause in biology (an immediately preceding driver)).
Something more akin to a biological ultimate cause (more closely related to the reason for its evolution), would be to consider the energy put into the evolution of the encoded protein by all of the gene's predecessors and the cells or organisms in which those sequences resided as they went through their generations of evolutionary history.

This seems to me, to be the accrued expense of the evolutionary building of (evolving of) the DNA sequences (stored information) from which these other properties are produced (using currently available energy and the cellular environment) anew in each cell, for what is probably a relatively small energetuic cost that could just as easily be used to produce a similar protein with a different amino acid sequence which could have slightly different or vastly different properties. This of course builds up over time and will simultaneously affect all the encoding sequences in the genome that are under selection in its circumstances (some traits may be selectively neutral). Its not clear to me how this energy contribution could be easily determined and assigned to a particular result. The same organisms would also be evolving all of the other sequences they have, some organisms and genes would be evolutionary dead ends, and genes may even be acquired from other species, viruses, or nowadays lab efforts.

I figure, this is a less direct use of energy to generate and maintain biological order.
It should reduce the amount of energy currently needed for to maintain order in currently existing cells.

Deepak K Kapur said:
Our universe is considered a closed system. Law says that the entropy of a closed system is bound to increase.

Then how could living beings evolve when they are an extremely ordered system?
Think of it as a contract with the Universe -> You can be alive i.e. living beings but as payment you have to increase the amount of entropy more than the constitute parts would by themselves.