Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about facts

Tags:
  1. Nov 19, 2017 #1
    What is the difference between the fact that grass is green and the green grass?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure of your question. When you write "the green grass", do you mean some actual grass, or do you mean a reference to it, i.e. someone saying or writing "the green grass"?

4. Nov 19, 2017 #3
    The grass is only green to the viewer. Anyone else not viewing the grass just presumes its green.

5. Nov 19, 2017 #4
    Just basically, 'the fact that grass is green' as opposed to saying something upon an observation that 'the green grass'. Sorry if there's still confusion there; but, I can't make it any more simple.

6. Nov 19, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a bit clearer.
    Is there a context for this question? Are we discussing philosophy, epistemology, logic...?

7. Nov 19, 2017 #6
    Yes, I figure you can call it a philosophical question; but, it's a simple question on face value. Namely, whether there is any difference between stating the fact that grass is green and the observation that there is green grass. I don't mean to profess any sophistry here.

8. Nov 19, 2017 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This statement implies to me that all grass is green.
    This implies to me that there is, or may be, also grass with other colors.

9. Nov 19, 2017 #8

ISamson

Gold Member

Grass could be burned - yellow.

10. Nov 19, 2017 #9
    that you put green before grass to describe the colour of the grass then the other way around?

11. Nov 19, 2017 #10

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

Reminds me of a science joke:

An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician were on a train heading north, and had just crossed the border into Scotland.

The engineer looked out of the window and said "Look! Scottish sheep are black!"

The physicist said, "No, no. Some Scottish sheep are black."

The mathematician looked irritated. "There is at least one field, containing at least one sheep, of which at least one side is black."

12. Nov 19, 2017 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Grammar or Usage question?

The grass is green.
    A statement which equates grass and green.

- green grass -
    Adjective 'green' gives information about the noun, 'grass'; not a sentence, but a phrase(?); in which 'grass' is given a word to modify or specify its meaning.

13. Nov 19, 2017 #12

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Much ado about apparently very little.
    Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook