Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about gravimetric analysis

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello, I have been studying undergraduate level chemistry courses for PhD proficiency exam, and I have very recently been started Analytical Chemistry.

I have a simple problem and I solved it in a different way, could you please show me how I can solve it by using the known "gravimetric factor"? Or I maybe have used it without noticing :smile:

The question is as follows:

Okay, my solution goes like this:

My questions:

1) What is the cause I am getting different answers? I am suspecting from using 35.5 grams/mol for chlorine atom; maybe I have to find more precise number from elsewhere; it is not given to me in this question.

2) Can you please show the solution of this problem by using gravimetric factor, along with its description? I have been unable to comprehend it so far.

Thank you for your interest.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not too familiar with this version of gravimetric analysis. Your answer does not seem too far off from the text's, so I'm not quite sure...perhaps the small deviation is because you neglected to use the stoichiometric ratio of molecule/chlorine. In the first organic compound it seems to be 1/6 and the second 1/5. Thus you're second equation may need to appear as 6*35.5(6moles/1mole)x+5*35.5(5moles/1mole)y=0.005*35.5 g (0.005 is the number of moles of AgCl).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?