Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about gravitational waves

1. Dec 26, 2013 #1
    My understanding is that there is currently a large amount of money being spent on different experiments to detect gravitational waves. From all the articles I've read , they all describe these waves getting weaker as you travel further from the source. So my question is does anybody know of any experiments to actually produce and observe G. waves rather than trying to observe a minute amount of space-time distortion from a source that's light years away??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Laboratory produced gravitational waves would be impossibly weak in amplitude for modern day detectors to go up against. Astrophysical events on the other hand can be extremely violent and produce gravitational waves with amplitudes that are at least reasonable with regards to future prospects; see section 9.3 of Schutz "A First Course in General Relativity".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook