A question about gravitons&photons

• Thread starter startic84
  • Start date
In summary: Initially posted by startic84 In summary, he's asking if photons and gravitons will interact if they come into contact, and whether gravitons are composed of different substances than photons.
Originally posted by turin
I think that gravity is physical. How else would you account for the effect on the physical universe?

I can account for gravity's effect on the physical by way of this analogy:

The lack of food causes starvation. The food is not present (ie: not physically present) but this non-presenting condition does present an effect on a very physical condition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is gravity physical?

What does a question "Is {X} physical?" mean?

So far as gravity is concerned, we have a theory of gravity - Einstein's General Relativity ("GR") - which is pretty good. In fact, AFAIK, there are no observations which are inconsistent with GR; in fact some aspects have recently been shown to match observations to 1 part in ~20,000.

However, GR is NOT consistent with quantum mechanics. So, let's do some experiments to test whether QM or GR (or neither) is correct! Problem is that the conditions necessary for such experiments cannot be created here on Earth, nor are we close enough to any black holes to try looking there, and our observational (and theoretical) cosmology has a long way to go before they'll help answer the questions.

I recall that GR is accurate (theory vs measurement) to one part in ~1010 for pulsar decelleration, as is QED for some magnetic moments.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
I recall that GR is accurate (theory vs measurement) to one part in ~1010 for pulsar decelleration, ...

I don't think so, Loren. If you are referring to Taylor-Hulse binary gravitational/orbital rate decay, its accuracy is only about .5%; and at last check I have seen no other pulsar decay rates showing agreement with GR better than 0.1%

Creator

Originally posted by Loren Booda
I recall that GR is accurate (theory vs measurement) to one part in ~1010 for pulsar decelleration, as is QED for some magnetic moments.

Although I've never starved to death (hence I am typing this) I tend to understand what I said better than this quote (probably because I am not a physicist or a patent office clerk)! I know that gravity by the definitions offered in the theory of General Relativity show that relative to a gravitational field time and space will change accordingly. What GR does not state is the actual composite nature of gravity. If I've got it right - GR only explains that gravity will effect its surroundings, in a relative manner.

I get the feeling that the ultimate example of gravity, a "black hole" is just that - a lack of fabric or a lack of space and time. It is a dense mass, so they say, but it is also analogized as a "hole" in space and time. This is where I get the idea that it is more of a subtraction of the fabric of space and time than an addition to the fabric.

When I look at gravity this way, it begins to look like it interupts the medium that carries electromagnetic waves by presenting the lack of a carrier. This, relative to the mass creating the "hole" will either swallow light or bend it, respectively. Any contary explanation will be considered!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Creator. Can anyone come up with the most accurately verified predictions of QM or GR?

Originally posted by Creator
I don't think so, Loren. If you are referring to Taylor-Hulse binary gravitational/orbital rate decay, its accuracy is only about .5%; and at last check I have seen no other pulsar decay rates showing agreement with GR better than 0.1%

Creator

Yes.The accuracy of the observation of Taylor-Hulse binary system orbital time changes is only about 0.5%.Due to the lack of preceise data of the system though.Still the prediction is in the width of error limit and is find to be the first experimental proof of the existence of gravity waves.
Supernova explosions are expected (and awaited for) to give us more info about these phenomena.

http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2001-4/ [Broken] gives an overview of where GR stood in 2000. As to how accurately it's been tested, well, you need to ask 'which part'? There are some tables at the end of the later sections in Chapter 3, and other numerical figures in later chapters. In general, GR has been shown to be consistent with observation and experiment to at least 0.1%, and in some respects to ~10-5.

Last year there were some press releases about results from the Cassini spacecraft (on its way to Saturn) and a light deflection (gravitational bending) test of GR, which gave a limit of ~1:20,000 for any inconsistency (I do not know whether the paper is in print yet).

http://www.phys.washington.edu/Department/Gradweb/Res_ExpAtomicAndMolcPhys.html gives the accuracy of at least one prediction of QED at 1:1012:

"g(electron)/2 = 1.001 159 652 188(4)
g(positron)/2 = 1.001 159 652 188(4)
g(positron)/g(electron) = 1.000 000 000 001(2)
The value of the electron/postiron g factor is the most precisely determined parameter of an elementary particle and so far it has stood up to all our tests. The close agreement of the theoretical value with the experimental one may be interpreted as the most stringent test of QED theory. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by p-brane
The lack of food causes starvation.
The lack of food does not cause starvation any more than the lack of a driving force causes signal decay. The body eating itself causes starvation. It isn't food's fault.

The lack of food does not cause starvation any more than the lack of a driving force causes signal decay. The body eating itself causes starvation. It isn't food's fault.

Fault has nothing to do with what I'm saying. The body eats itself because there is no other source of food.

Light is trapped and its energy either entropied or transformed because it encounters an area in space/time where background radiation has condensed into a mass, leaving a hole (or "spongy medium) proportinate to the density of the mass observed.

What were the results of the Einstein probe in regards to GR?

I get the feeling that the ultimate example of gravity, a "black hole" is just that - a lack of fabric or a lack of space and time.
Fabric? So you're a creationist then? (sorry, I'm just kidding, I don't care whether or not you are.)

But a black hole is not a lack of anything: there is a metric inside the horizon (there is a "space-time fabric"), light and matter can have fallen in (on their way to inevitable destruction). It is not necessarily empty at all. It is called a "black hole" simply because, if you could get close enough to look at one (visually, optically), then it would literally look like there was a big black hole in the star field (and the optical lensing makes this appearance even more pronounced than just some missing stars). The only place where the physical theory does not go is the singularity. But even there, I'm pretty sure it is believed that something exists, and even if it is not so believed, the singularity does not pull on things, gravity does. The singularity is just there. Space-time is curved. A black hole is not an example of gravity, it is an example of an object that gravitates.

The body eats itself because there is no other source of food.
The body eats itself because that is precisely the mechanism of metabolism. When, as you say, "other food" is ingested, it is obsorbed into the body and eaten. The body is always eating (well, I don't have a reference for this, so, if you disagree, then I guess I'll have to shut my mouth until I find one). The presense or absense of "other food" does not change this (see previous parenthetical).

There is no food on my desk right now. But my desk is not starving. A lack of food does not cause starvation.

Light is trapped and its energy either entropied or transformed because it encounters an area in space/time where background radiation has condensed into a mass, leaving a hole (or "spongy medium) proportinate to the density of the mass observed.
What does it mean for energy to be "entropied?" A hole or spongy medium? I don't follow. But, if there is some spongy medium, then I would say that sounds pretty physical (i.e. it has the property of being spongy, and it is a medium).

Last edited:
Good to be back. House fire fried my computer. It's nice to see some of the same names; Nereid,"Is X physical', that's excellent as usuall. I like the way you can simplfy, or "dumbdify", a question. How "Could" one know if "X" is physical before "X" has been quantified? Turin, your descriptions are very clear as usuall.
Question: Would a beam of photons in vacuum eventually difuse? It seems the photon has no charge but does have an EM field. Now if we can someday observe a "graviton", what properties might we expect?
Gravitons, if they exsist, would be more defuse as distance from mass increases. However they would permiate the universe. As the photon passes through varying "clouds of gravitons" coming and going to and from all mass it should be pulled to and fro until it strikes an object.
Is it possible that mass effects light but light has no effect on mass? Can this be a violation of CPT? I don't think I've read of anything other than the "K" meson that shows that property. Perhaps the photon does have some minute effect on the graviton, if it exsists, but it would be well below our capabilitys to measure it, even in quanta, right now. That would keep things conserved.
L8R - - - p.s. for anyone new, I'm a Male. The name comes from a band I'm in; just to clear things up.

Fabric? So you're a creationist then? (sorry, I'm just kidding, I don't care whether or not you are.)

But a black hole is not a lack of anything: there is a metric inside the horizon (there is a "space-time fabric"), light and matter can have fallen in (on their way to inevitable destruction). It is not necessarily empty at all. It is called a "black hole" simply because, if you could get close enough to look at one (visually, optically), then it would literally look like there was a big black hole in the star field (and the optical lensing makes this appearance even more pronounced than just some missing stars). The only place where the physical theory does not go is the singularity. But even there, I'm pretty sure it is believed that something exists, and even if it is not so believed, the singularity does not pull on things, gravity does. The singularity is just there. Space-time is curved. A black hole is not an example of gravity, it is an example of an object that gravitates.

The body eats itself because that is precisely the mechanism of metabolism. When, as you say, "other food" is ingested, it is obsorbed into the body and eaten. The body is always eating (well, I don't have a reference for this, so, if you disagree, then I guess I'll have to shut my mouth until I find one). The presense or absense of "other food" does not change this (see previous parenthetical).

There is no food on my desk right now. But my desk is not starving. A lack of food does not cause starvation.

What does it mean for energy to be "entropied?" A hole or spongy medium? I don't follow. But, if there is some spongy medium, then I would say that sounds pretty physical (i.e. it has the property of being spongy, and it is a medium).

So far I'd say I'm striking out with you turin, so I won't waste much more time with your questions. I do agree with you that a desk won't starve, food or no food, that's because its either made of metal or the remains of a dead organism. Starvation usually refers to a living organism and its reaction to the absence of of food. Thank you.

<h2>1. What is the difference between gravitons and photons?</h2><p>Gravitons and photons are both elementary particles, but they have different properties and functions. Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are thought to mediate the force of gravity, while photons are particles of light that carry electromagnetic energy.</p><h2>2. How are gravitons and photons related to each other?</h2><p>Gravitons and photons are both part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. However, they are not directly related to each other and have very different roles in the universe.</p><h2>3. Can gravitons and photons be detected?</h2><p>While photons can be detected and measured using various instruments, gravitons have not yet been directly detected. This is because the force of gravity is extremely weak and gravitons are predicted to have very low energy, making them difficult to detect.</p><h2>4. Are gravitons and photons affected by the same laws of physics?</h2><p>Yes, both gravitons and photons are affected by the laws of physics, including the principles of quantum mechanics and relativity. However, they have different properties and interactions due to the different forces they mediate.</p><h2>5. How do gravitons and photons contribute to our understanding of the universe?</h2><p>Gravitons and photons are both important in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. By studying their properties and behaviors, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the laws of physics and how the universe works on a fundamental level.</p>

1. What is the difference between gravitons and photons?

Gravitons and photons are both elementary particles, but they have different properties and functions. Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are thought to mediate the force of gravity, while photons are particles of light that carry electromagnetic energy.

2. How are gravitons and photons related to each other?

Gravitons and photons are both part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. However, they are not directly related to each other and have very different roles in the universe.

3. Can gravitons and photons be detected?

While photons can be detected and measured using various instruments, gravitons have not yet been directly detected. This is because the force of gravity is extremely weak and gravitons are predicted to have very low energy, making them difficult to detect.

4. Are gravitons and photons affected by the same laws of physics?

Yes, both gravitons and photons are affected by the laws of physics, including the principles of quantum mechanics and relativity. However, they have different properties and interactions due to the different forces they mediate.

5. How do gravitons and photons contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Gravitons and photons are both important in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. By studying their properties and behaviors, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the laws of physics and how the universe works on a fundamental level.