Does gravity still exist at the North or South Pole?

• B
  • Thread starter NewToThis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the discussion revolved around the concept of gravity and its relationship to Earth's rotation. It was clarified that objects fall due to gravity pulling objects with mass towards each other, and not because of Earth's rotation or motion through space. The equivalence principle was also mentioned, where acceleration and gravity behave the same. The conversation concluded with a suggestion to start with understanding Newton's law of universal gravitation before delving into the more complex theory of relativity.
NewToThis
I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject and it's well beyond my understanding, but from what I do understand objects do not fall, it is the Earth crashing into them because the Earth is rotating and traveling through space, but what happens if you stand directly on the north or south pole and drop an apple, you are out of Earth's path and spin, so isn't the apple actually falling?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
NewToThis said:
I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject and it's well beyond my understanding, but from what I do understand objects do not fall, it is the Earth crashing into them because the Earth is rotating and traveling through space...
Sorry, no, that isn't correct. In the Newtonian explanation, objects fall because gravity pulls objects with mass toward each other. In Relativity, space is warped by the presence of mass, pulling/pushing objects together. None of that has anything to do with motion/rotation.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

Sorry, no, that isn't correct. In the Newtonian explanation, objects fall because gravity pulls objects with mass toward each other. In Relativity, space is warped by the presence of mass, pulling/pushing objects together. None of that has anything to do with motion/rotation.

Brian Greene discusses it briefly in this video from about 9.20.

Earth's rotation has nothing to do with gravity, why do you think it should?
I can understand your concept about the Earth moving through space causing it collide with other stuff, although that's also wrong
If that were true then only stuff ahead of the leading edge would fall on to Earth, while on the trailing edge stuff that wasn't tied down would float away.

Last edited:
rootone said:
Earth's rotation has nothing to do with gravity, why do you think it should?
I can understand your concept about the Earth moving through space causing it collide with other stuff, although that's also wrong
If that were true then only stuff ahead of the leading edge would fall on to Earth, while on the trailing edge stuff that wasn't tied down would float away.
That's just how I've come to understand how gravity works, but I thougt it was wrong.

In the video Brian Greene says that it wasn't the apple that hit Newton's head, it was Newtons head that hit the apple, that the ground rushes up. By rushing up I thought he must mean the Earth traveling and spinning at vast speeds crashes into the object

Gravity is simply a property of matter, all matter attracts other matter, in general relativity though it can be described as geometry rather than simply as a property which matter has.

Last edited:
NewToThis said:
Brian Greene discusses it briefly in this video from about 9.20.
When he says "When Newton was sitting there under the tree, according to Einstein, it is not that the apple fell on his head; his head rushed up and hit the apple." I can see why it might lead you to the interpretation you had, but what you said is not what he's talking about and the way he described that is not very good. He's referring to the equivalence principle, where acceleration and gravity are observed to behave the same as each other:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_principle

It is clearer from the demonstration he gives than the description he gives.

Clearly, if we were just in the way of Earth's motion through space (he never says "traveling through space"), people on the other side of the Earth would be left behind as it moved away from them.

russ_watters said:
When he says "When Newton was sitting there under the tree, according to Einstein, it is not that the apple fell on his head; his head rushed up and hit the apple." I can see why it might lead you to the interpretation you had, but what you said is not what he's talking about and the way he described that is not very good. He's referring to the equivalence principle, where acceleration and gravity are observed to behave the same as each other:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_principle

It is clearer from the demonstration he gives than the description he gives.

Clearly, if we were just in the way of Earth's motion through space (he never says "traveling through space"), people on the other side of the Earth would be left behind as it moved away from them.

Thanks for watching the video and providing the link, I shall have to read on because I was obviously way off.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is responsible for the attraction between objects and is what keeps us grounded on Earth.

2. Who discovered gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering the concept of gravity in the 17th century. However, the concept of gravity has been studied and theorized by many scientists throughout history.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that works by pulling objects towards each other. The strength of gravity depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

4. Does gravity exist in space?

Yes, gravity exists in space. In fact, gravity is what keeps planets and other celestial bodies in orbit around each other. However, the effects of gravity may be weaker in certain areas of space due to the distance between objects.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

As far as we know, gravity cannot be manipulated or controlled. It is a natural force that cannot be artificially created or changed. However, scientists are constantly studying gravity and its effects in order to better understand it.