Is acceleration still g if an object is dropped at a speed v?

• B
  • Thread starter Est120
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, when an object is dropped from rest, its acceleration towards the ground is always g, regardless of its initial speed. This is because the only force acting on the object during free fall is gravity, assuming no other complications.
Est120
If you drop an object from rest, its acceleration towards the ground is g ,ok i know that but if you drop the object at some speed v does acceleration is still g?

i suppose is still g

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, as long as air resistance is negligible.

Est120 said:
If you drop an object from rest, its acceleration towards the ground is g ,ok i know that but if you drop the object at some speed v does acceleration is still g?

i suppose is still g

Remember that "acceleration" is the time rate of change of velocity. The initial velocity doesn't change anything during free fall.

As soon as the object departs from the source that gave it that initial v, then it is free falling, and the ONLY force acting on it is gravitational force. So if we assume terrestrial condition and no other complications, then its acceleration will be still be "g".

Zz.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing, either by increasing or decreasing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. Is acceleration still g if an object is dropped at a speed v?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity (g) remains constant regardless of the initial velocity of an object. This means that an object dropped at a speed v will still experience an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 towards the ground.

4. How does air resistance affect acceleration?

Air resistance can affect acceleration by slowing down the rate at which an object falls. As an object falls, it experiences a force of air resistance that increases with velocity. This force can counteract the force of gravity and result in a slower acceleration.

5. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. A negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, means that an object is slowing down. This can occur when the object is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force, or when the force is decreasing over time.