1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about groups

1. Dec 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What exactly does G={ f: R -> R : f(x)=ax+b, where a is not equal to zero} is a group under composition, mean? So what are the elements of G? Are they (for example) f(x)=ax+b and g(x)=a'x+b'? Or are they f(x)=ax+b and f(y)=ay+b?

Thanks in advance

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first, of course, they are all linear polynomials in x.

4. Dec 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks...

5. Dec 29, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I read the problem statement, the other interpretation doesn't make much sense. f(x)=ax+b and g(y)=ay+b define the same function. Some example of elements of G are 2x+1, x-1, -2x+4, etc etc.

6. Dec 29, 2012 #5
    Thanks. Yes, I figured that out...it doesn't make any sense...I don't know why I was confused. :)

7. Dec 30, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

On the other hand, although the group is defined as {f(x)= ax+ b}, it is not a good idea to use "f" to represent two different members. Rather, say that f(x)= ax+ b and g(x)= a'x+ b'. The group operation, "composition" would give fg= a(a'x+ b')+ b= aa'x+ (ab'+ b) and gf= a'(ax+ b)+ b'= aa'x+ (a'b+ b'). Since, in general, [itex]ab'+ b\ne a'b+ b'[/itex] this group is not commutative.

Of course, the function f(x)= 1x+ 0= x is the group identity: if g(x)= ax+ b then fg= 1(ax+ b)+ 0= ax+ b and gf= a(x)+ b= ax+b. What is the inverse of f(x)= ax+ b?

8. Dec 30, 2012 #7
    The inverse is: [tex]f^{-1}(x) = a^{-1}x - a^{-1}b[/tex], right? Because...

[tex]a(a^{-1}x - a^{-1}b) + b = (x-b)+b = x[/tex]

9. Dec 30, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's exactly right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook