Are holograms able to reconstruct wavefronts in all directions?

• Thread starter rumborak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Holography
In summary, the wavefronts are reconstructed correctly on the other side of the cube, however the cube itself is not present.
rumborak
Hi everybody,

first time post/question, hope you're kind with me :)

I got a somewhat detailed question about holography:
Obviously the very point of holography is to recreate the wavefronts correctly towards the viewer, as in this picture

450px-Holography-reconstruct.svg.png

(thanks to Wikipedia)

My question is, are the wavefronts also correctly reconstructed on the other side, i.e. towards the cube? That is, in the above example, would the points in space that correspond to the surface of the cube, be points in space where the wavefronts constructively interfere, thus resulting in large amplitude?

Thanks in advance,
rumborak

Physics news on Phys.org
Not the way you have it pictured. But you can make a real image of a hologram - where the image appears in front of the hologram.

Using your diagram, and assuming that the reconstruction beam is planar, then a similar planar beam coming from the right would allow the real image to be seen as viewed from the top of the diagram.

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for responding so quickly. What I'm interested in is not the virtual image though (and I agree that flipping the reference beam would produce the virtual image on the other side), but rather, in the same setup as above where the reference beam is coming from that left, what the wavefronts look like in the area where the cube used to be.
My wild guess is that the wavefronts recreate the point sources that the cube surface used to be, in the positions of that surface. But, can anybody confirm that hunch?

Goodman's book "Introduction to Fourier Optics" has an excellent discussion of this- if you illuminate the hologram with a conjugate reference wave (loosely, the 'opposite direction'), the hologram will produce a real image that is the complex conjugate of the original object:

http://imagebank.osa.org/getImage.xqy?img=cCF6ekAubGFyZ2Usb2wtMjEtMTYtMTI5NS1nMDAx

In general, a hologram will produce both a real and virtual image:

http://cnx.org/resources/b5e5db18ff14bb75a9315309fe8ddc41/Figure_31_05_15.jpg

Certain recording techniques (Gabor holograms) produce both real and virtual images that are in line with each other. the Leith-Upatnieks recording geometry spatially separates the real and virtual image.

Ooooh, thank you very much, Andy! That's exactly what I wondering/hoping for.

What is holography?

Holography is a technique that uses light to create a three-dimensional image of an object. It involves capturing and reconstructing the light patterns scattered by an object, creating a realistic and fully dimensional image.

How does holography work?

Holography works by splitting a laser beam into two parts: the object beam and the reference beam. The object beam is directed onto the object, where it is scattered and creates an interference pattern. The reference beam is directed onto a photographic plate, and the two beams intersect to create a hologram. When the hologram is illuminated with a laser, it recreates the original object's light pattern, creating a 3D image.

What are the practical applications of holography?

Holography has a variety of practical applications, including security features on credit cards and IDs, holographic displays for advertising and entertainment, and holographic microscopy for medical and scientific research. It is also used in art, data storage, and virtual reality technology.

What are the limitations of holography?

One limitation of holography is the need for a laser as a light source, making it more expensive and less accessible than other imaging techniques. Another limitation is the need for a stable and controlled environment, as any vibrations or movement can distort the holographic image. Additionally, holography is limited to capturing static objects and cannot capture moving objects in real-time.

How is holography different from traditional photography?

Holography differs from traditional photography in that it captures and reproduces the entire light field of an object, creating a 3D image with depth and parallax. Traditional photography only captures 2D representations of objects. Holography also requires the use of a laser and specialized equipment, while traditional photography can be done with a camera and natural light.