A question about how to protect a battery of an electric car?

In summary, high voltage charging is less damaging to a battery than high ampere charging, but high voltage charging is more expensive and more difficult to install.
hagopbul
Hello all:

I have a question about electric car battery ?

What is the best charging method for the battery ?

Is it high ampere charging or high voltage charging ?
Thanks in advance
H

Engineering news on Phys.org
hagopbul said:
What is the best charging method for the battery ?
The best way is to use the built-in charger in the Electric Vehicle. There are many different battery chemistries and configurations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_battery
Are you wanting to make your own custom charger? Why? And what is your previous experience in designing battery chargers?

Likes hagopbul and russ_watters
berkeman said:
And what is your previous experience in designing battery chargers / bombs?
The car manufacturer is the best person to be making chargers for your HIGH POWER FAST CHARGE FAST DISCHARGE car battery. Steer well clear unless this is just a thought experiment.

Last edited:
Likes hagopbul, dlgoff and berkeman
If you are interested in battries in general, https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/ is a good source of information.

I totally agree with:
berkeman said:
The best way is to use the built-in charger in the Electric Vehicle.
sophiecentaur said:
The car manufacturer is the best person to be making chargers for you HIGH POWER FAST CHARGE FAST DISCHARGE car battery.

Last edited:
Likes hagopbul, berkeman and sophiecentaur
My question is scientific actually :
I entered an argument that if we use high voltage that is less damaging for a battery than using high ampere

Currently battery technology is under development around the world for electric cars but long time charging are just making things hard for electric cars to sweep the market

I noticed that when ads talking about new electric cars they mention 800 v or 200kva for what they called fast or super charging technology .

So back to the question
Dose high ampere charging is better for a battery or high voltage ?

hagopbul said:
So back to the question
There is no definitive answer to this - even when a particular technology is specified. Even with the humble Lead Acid Battery, there are are a number of different designs that are used in different applications and require different charging for optimum performance.
Have you read the Battery University, as recommended?

Likes anorlunda, dlgoff and berkeman
hagopbul said:
I don't think that is a well-formed question. Please give a link to what you read with that vague statement:
hagopbul said:
if we use high voltage that is less damaging for a battery than using high ampere
And please do some reading about bettery charging for the different battery chemistries. There are optimum charging profiles for each chemistry, and deviating from those profiles can shorten battery life (and shorten your life if you are standing next to a battery that you try to charge too fast).

Likes jim hardy
You can also google for different charging profiles.

As worded though, the question makes no sense because voltage and current are tied together. You can't pick between "high" voltage or current, if you pick one, you get the other!

Likes jim hardy
The battery voltage and battery charger output voltage will be regulated which sets the charger output voltage. The rate of charge is then proportional to the current available from the charger. But what voltage and current are needed to supply the charger?

An EV with 100 kW rated power is designed to transfer energy from the battery to the motor at a rate of 100 k joule per second. If we recharge it at that same rate as discharge then we need a 100 kW battery charging power supply. A typical house outlet is only rated at 2.5 kW, so it will need a special supply. There are many possible combinations of voltage and current that will supply 100 kW. Some are; 250 V @ 400 A, 500 V @ 200 A, 1 kV @ 100 A, 2 kV @ 50 A and 4 kV @ 25 A. Obviously the higher currents will need more expensive and heavier wires, so higher voltages will be an advantage. But the higher voltages are more difficult to insulate, plug in, and switch safely. So there must be a compromise with the supply to the charging circuit. The voltage will probably be less than 1 kV, supplying a maximum current of 120 A.

hagopbul said:
I noticed that when ads talking about new electric cars they mention 800 v or 200kva for what they called fast or super charging technology .

Also bear in mind that the voltage supplied to a charger may be selected to minimize the cost of the wiring to supply it. It need not have any relationship to the voltage supplied to the battery.

200kva @120V means 1800 amps! That would be silly. It would require very expensive cables and circuit breakers.

My laptop charges at 19V, but the energy comes partially from Canada at voltages as high as 765KV on the way here.

1. How can I extend the lifespan of my electric car's battery?

There are several ways to protect the battery of an electric car and extend its lifespan. One important factor is to avoid overcharging the battery. This can be done by unplugging the car once it is fully charged. Additionally, avoiding extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can help prolong the battery's life. Regularly maintaining and servicing the battery can also help prevent any potential issues that could shorten its lifespan.

2. Is it necessary to fully charge the battery every time?

No, it is not necessary to fully charge the battery every time. In fact, it is recommended to only charge the battery up to 80-90% of its capacity to help prevent overcharging. However, it is important to occasionally fully charge the battery to balance the cells and maintain their health.

3. Can I leave my electric car plugged in overnight?

Yes, you can leave your electric car plugged in overnight. Most electric cars have a built-in feature that stops charging once the battery is fully charged, preventing overcharging. However, it is still recommended to unplug the car once it is fully charged to avoid any potential issues.

4. How often should I replace the battery in my electric car?

The lifespan of an electric car's battery can vary depending on usage and maintenance. On average, the battery may need to be replaced after 8-10 years. However, with proper care and maintenance, the battery can last even longer.

5. Are there any specific driving habits that can protect the battery?

Yes, there are certain driving habits that can help protect the battery of an electric car. These include avoiding excessive acceleration and braking, as well as driving at moderate speeds. Additionally, using regenerative braking, which captures energy from braking and sends it back to the battery, can help prolong its lifespan.