Can Negative Energy Keep Wormholes Open in the Theory of Inflation?

• Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inflation
In summary: And would the differences in fundamental constants between universes make life impossible in the baby universes?In summary, according to the theory of inflation, baby universes can be formed through microscopic wormholes that quickly close, and some suggest that negative energy could potentially keep these wormholes open. However, quantum inequalities may make this impossible. Additionally, differences in fundamental constants between universes could make life as we know it impossible in baby universes. The idea of wormholes and baby universes was put forth by Andrei Linde, but it is not widely accepted.
hammertime
According to the theory of inflation, at least as I understand it, baby universes pop into existence and are connected to this one by a wormhole. That wormhole then shuts in a split second. Some also say that baby universes can be formed this way in particle accelerators.

Is there any way to keep those wormholes open? Could negative energy work or would quantum inequalities, which apparently place fundamental restrictions on how much negative energy you can amass at a time, render it impossible?

Also, are the differences in fundamental constants between this universe and baby universes enough to make life as we know it impossible in the latter?

Space news on Phys.org
Could you perhaps state where you have heard/read this? I've heard statements from people such as Guth who say that eternal inflation creates such "pocket universes" but I have never heard such speculation about wormholes.

cristo said:
Could you perhaps state where you have heard/read this? I've heard statements from people such as Guth who say that eternal inflation creates such "pocket universes" but I have never heard such speculation about wormholes.

I believe the idea was put forth by Andrei Linde that baby universes are formed in the quantum foam and are connected by microscopic wormholes that snap shut in a split second. So, could such wormholes somehow be kept open by negative energy? Or is that made impossible by quantum inequalities?

What is inflation?

Inflation is a general increase in the prices of goods and services in an economy over a period of time. It means that the purchasing power of money decreases, resulting in higher prices for everyday items.

How is inflation measured?

Inflation is typically measured by calculating the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) over a specific period of time. The CPI is a measure of the average change in price for a basket of goods and services commonly purchased by households.

What causes inflation?

Inflation can be caused by a variety of factors, including an increase in the money supply, rising production costs, and high demand for goods and services. It can also be influenced by external factors such as natural disasters and changes in government policies.

What are the effects of inflation?

Inflation can have both positive and negative effects on the economy. Some of the negative effects include a decrease in purchasing power, a decrease in real wages, and a decrease in overall economic growth. However, inflation can also stimulate economic growth and encourage investment in certain industries.

How can inflation be controlled?

Central banks and governments use various tools to control inflation, such as adjusting interest rates, implementing fiscal policies, and regulating the money supply. These measures aim to balance the level of inflation in order to maintain a stable economy.