1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about masses on a pully

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    Three block, connecting ropes, and a light frictionless pully comprise a system, as shown. An external force P is applied downward on block A. The system accelerates at the rate of 2.5m/s2. The tension in the rope connecting block B and block C equals 60 N. I dont have a picture but ill discribe it.

Ok there are two masses on one side of the pully B and C. B is on top and C is on bottom, the Force exerted on B by C is 60N. Mass of B is 18kg. Then there is a mass on the other side which has a mass of 12Kg.

Ok i tired this problem but i keep getting the wrong answer.

The total force on B is

T - (60 N + wB) = maa

and then the total force on B is

T - wA = -maa

Since A is accelerating downwards it has a negative acceleration and B has a positive accleration.

The answer should be 190N but i cant seem to get the answer. What am i doing wrong.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

OK, except that it should be mba.
    I assume you mean this to be the total force on A. You forgot the applied force P (or -P, with your sign convention.)
    Right: the acceleration of B is +a; of A, -a.

Correct your two equations and combine them to solve for P. (Which I'm guessing is the question.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?