A question about optics: Why does a pinhole aperture work like my eyeglasses?

In summary, when glasses are not worn, everything looks slightly out of focus, but when glasses are worn, everything is sharply in focus.
thetexan
i wear glasses to correct my out of focus vision. Without glasses everything is slightly out of focus. Quite by accident I looked through a tiny pinhole about the size of a pinprick without my glasses using one eye. To my amazement everything was perfectly sharply in focus. The same with the other worse eye. When I took away the paper with the pinhole it was out of focus again. When I looked through the pinhole perfectly in focus.

What would explain that?

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
It's because the pinhole reduces the diameter of the incoming beam of light. When light enters your eye, the outermost rays in the beam are generally the ones aberrated the most. Reducing the diameter of this beam greatly reduces the amount of aberration, which 'corrects' your vision at the cost of brightness of the image.

I'll see if I can find a picture that can show this.

Likes berkeman, sophiecentaur, davenn and 1 other person
Do you know about the signs some companies put on the back windows of their cars or trucks? It’s an image of something printed on a plastic window size appliqué with thousands of tiny holes in the plastic so the driver can see out the back window through the rear view mirror.

Similarly, could you make a pair of glasses that are essentially opaque but with thousands of tiny holes in the opaqueness so that you are getting thousands of pinpoints of light making everything in focus?

tex

thetexan said:
Similarly, could you make a pair of glasses that are essentially opaque but with thousands of tiny holes in the opaqueness so that you are getting thousands of pinpoints of light making everything in focus?

No, the hole has to be centered on the optical axis of the eye. Having multiple holes arranged all around the eye would not correct your vision since it's still letting in light towards the outside of your pupil where the aberrations are greatest.

Forgive the poorly drawn diagram, but I hope it gets my point across. In the left image you can see that the incoming rays intersect each other before they hit the retina. By the time they hit the retina they form a large spot instead of a small point. That's why your vision is blurry. All the light that should be concentrated into a single point is spread out, overlapping similar spots from light coming in from different points in your visual field.

In the right image, two outer rays are blocked. As you can see, the spot formed by the rays has been cut almost in half, substantially improving visual acuity.

Eye Diagram.jpg

Attachments

• Eye Diagram.jpg
    Eye Diagram.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,225
Likes symbolipoint, davenn and Charles Link
I keep a piece of cardboard on my bedside table that has two pinholes in it the same distance apart as my eyes. It also has a notch for my nose.

When there's something on TV I want to see and I can't find my glasses in the dark, I put this thing on, and I can read the finest lettering on the TV (although it's very dim).

I call these my Emergency spectacles.

BTW, you don't need to make it out of cardboard; you can do it easily enough with your hand:

pinhole-hand.jpg

Attachments

• pinhole-hand.jpg
    pinhole-hand.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,358
Last edited:
Likes Keith_McClary, sophiecentaur, Drakkith and 1 other person
Interesting. I guess the next question would be how big can you make the pinhole and it still work. It must be a compromise between brightness and clarity. I assume as the hole gets bigger the less focusing effect it has.

Likes sophiecentaur
thetexan said:
Interesting. I guess the next question would be how big can you make the pinhole and it still work. It must be a compromise between brightness and clarity. I assume as the hole gets bigger the less focusing effect it has.
Exactly.

The size you can make them will depend on how bad your vision is.

Also, whether you have short-sightedness versus astigmatism.
For astigmatism, only some aspects of the cornea are misshapen. If you could block the right angles, you could make the holes more like slots. You'd get relatively more light without the corresponding increase in blurriness. In theory.

Make a slot-shaped hole in a piece of foil and tape it over a hole in a piece of cardboard. One eye at a time, look through it and rotate the slot through 180 degrees. If you have astigmatism, you will likely see that some angles are in better focus than others.

astigmatism_img3.jpg

Attachments

• astigmatism_img3.jpg
    astigmatism_img3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,317
Last edited:
I remember my son had an exercise at Uni to find an optimum size for a pinhole camera for observing sunspots. The image of the Sun was not large for a 1m tube and the resolution was no better than the pinhole diameter but the image brightness was limited by a small pinhole. It was a matter of finding the compromise between the two factors. I cheated and used a +1 Diopter lens.
PS On a bright day, the performance of faulty eyes tends to be much better than in low light conditions because your pupil shrinks in bright light - almost to pinhole size. I discovered, independently, that I could see much better when I did Dave's trick with my hand, laying by the swimming pool in the Sun without my glasses. Manual focus cameras used to have an additional scale on the focus scale which showed the depth of focus for different aperture sizes (f number) so the effect even applies to lenses as well as pinholes.

The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field. You can find when taking photo.

Likes sophiecentaur
Drakkith said:
No, the hole has to be centered on the optical axis of the eye. Having multiple holes arranged all around the eye would not correct your vision since it's still letting in light towards the outside of your pupil where the aberrations are greatest.
But one usually is focused in one narrow cone anyway so different holes would line up as your eyes shift.

bob012345 said:
But one usually is focused in one narrow cone anyway so different holes would line up as your eyes shift.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. What holes are lining up and what are they lining up with?

thetexan said:
i wear glasses to correct my out of focus vision. Without glasses everything is slightly out of focus. Quite by accident I looked through a tiny pinhole about the size of a pinprick without my glasses using one eye. To my amazement everything was perfectly sharply in focus. The same with the other worse eye. When I took away the paper with the pinhole it was out of focus again. When I looked through the pinhole perfectly in focus.

What would explain that?

Tex
I noticed the exact same thing. Main reason in the simplest and most unrefined terms, is that a tiny tiny hold acts like a lens because this tiny hold is no larger.

( I remember making a couple of pin-hole cameras back in the time when photography actually used film, darkrooms, and enlargers.)

bob012345 said:
Time for an experiment with some card and a pin.

I find the same phenomenon in reading outdoors in bright sunlight where the pupil contracts. Otherwise I require reading glasses, because I have good eyesight, but I am far-sighted=I can not focus up close. (Reading glasses essentially put the printed page in or near the focal plane of the reading glasses and make a faraway image). ## \\ ## Outdoors in bright sunlight, I can see text quite clearly, and I don't require reading glasses.

Charles Link said:
I find the same phenomenon in reading outdoors in bright sunlight where the pupil contracts. Otherwise I require reading glasses, because I have good eyesight, but I am far-sighted=I can not focus up close. (Reading glasses essentially put the printed page in or near the focal plane of the reading glasses and make a faraway image). ## \\ ## Outdoors in bright sunlight, I can see text quite clearly, and I don't require reading glasses.
This I believe is similar or same as the idea, "Depth of Field", but I am unsure if this truly is related to the pinhole lens or not. I believe so.

Likes Charles Link
symbolipoint said:
This I believe is similar or same as the idea, "Depth of Field", but I am unsure if this truly is related to the pinhole lens or not. I believe so.
@Drakkith has a good diagram that explains all of this in post 5.

Have you noticed that people without their glasses on tend to squint/narrow their eyes? I believe this works in the same way as a pin hole by reducing the diameter of your pupil by partly obscuring it. It may also work in conjunction with your eyelashes.

Likes symbolipoint and Charles Link
CWatters said:
Have you noticed that people without their glasses on tend to squint/narrow their eyes? I believe this works in the same way as a pin hole by reducing the diameter of your pupil by partly obscuring it. It may also work in conjunction with your eyelashes.

Yes, I believe that's the case too.

Perhaps an improvement in the optical signal-to-noise ratio is in play.

I actually tried that a few times many so many years ago, and it works. Things in the distance if blurry would be clear when I form a few of my finger tips into a small hole and look through this.

lewando said:
Perhaps an improvement in the optical signal-to-noise ratio is in play.

How so?

I was thinking that by removing the extraneous part of the image (noise) the brain can better process the area of interest (signal). After doing a quick test (placing some dark paper with a hole big enough to see a single letter on my monitor), I could not see an improvement--still blurry. I would like to retract my "perhaps".

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
Something else to consider is the pin hole restricts the area of the lens being used, if this is an area of the lens that is not defective, then things should appear sharper because you may be looking thru an area of the lens that is not distorted.

thetexan said:
"Ayurveda glasses are the glasses without lenses. This means that corrective glasses are not installed in the frame. They are replaced with an opaque shield, in which there are lots of small holes made. Structure resembles a colander. Because there is no glass, there is no diopter or other parameters. This means that the glasses are universal "

I found that while looking for the sort of universal glasses (spectacles) that were advertised in the Sunday papers, in comics and low-brow magazines.

I see WikiP has an entry, with photo.

They are on sale as Pinhole Glasses through the usual sources.

Merlin3189 said:
"Ayurveda glasses are the glasses without lenses. This means that corrective glasses are not installed in the frame. They are replaced with an opaque shield, in which there are lots of small holes made. Structure resembles a colander. Because there is no glass, there is no diopter or other parameters. This means that the glasses are universal "

I found that while looking for the sort of universal glasses (spectacles) that were advertised in the Sunday papers, in comics and low-brow magazines.

I see WikiP has an entry, with photo.

They are on sale as Pinhole Glasses through the usual sources.

Note that these glasses are often touted as being able to improve one's vision by alternative health sources (as your first link demonstrates). Unfortunately there is no evidence for this and no known way for such an improvement to occur.

Also note that these glasses obscure parts of the field of view so that you have to move your head around to see all the details of an object or text. The wikipedia link has an excellent image of this effect.

Thanks for the link though. I had never heard of these before now.

Pinjole glasses are available in novelty shops or make them by drilling holes in dark sunglasses.

PearlPreCochon said:
Pinjole glasses are available in novelty shops or make them by drilling holes in dark sunglasses.
Be sure to take them off first.

zz620.jpg

Attachments

• zz620.jpg
    zz620.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 472
Likes Drakkith

1. Why does a pinhole aperture create a focused image?

The pinhole aperture works like a lens, blocking some of the light rays and allowing others to pass through. The rays that pass through the aperture converge and form an image on the other side, creating a focused image.

2. How does the size of the pinhole affect the image quality?

The size of the pinhole directly affects the quality of the image. A smaller pinhole creates a sharper image, but also reduces the amount of light that can pass through. A larger pinhole allows more light to pass through, but the image may appear blurry or less focused.

3. Why do eyeglasses use lenses instead of pinholes?

Eyeglasses use lenses to correct vision because they can bend and refract light in a specific way to correct for visual impairments. Pinholes, on the other hand, simply block some of the light, but do not actually change the path of the light rays.

4. Can a pinhole aperture be used in place of eyeglasses?

No, a pinhole aperture cannot be used as a replacement for eyeglasses. While it can create a focused image, it does not have the ability to correct for visual impairments like lenses do.

5. How does the distance between the pinhole and the image affect the final image?

The distance between the pinhole and the image, also known as the focal length, affects the size and clarity of the image. A longer focal length will result in a larger image but may also cause it to appear more blurry. A shorter focal length will result in a smaller image but may make it appear sharper.