1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about permutations

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The coach from a soccer team of 15 players must select 11 players for the start of a game.

) Before the game all players line up in a straight line for a team photograph. If 2 players,
    Michaela and Aleah must be together, then how many different arrangements can be made
    for the picture?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

2*13!

The correct answer is 2*14! but I don't understand why they chose 14!, since there are only 13 players left after you isolate Michaela and Aleah, who can either be MA or AM.

Nevermind I figured it out.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Just in case anyone else is interested, the 2*13! only takes into account one possibility for the 'block' of the two girls (either MA or AM). There are 15 people, so this block may be put in 14different positions i.e this increases the number of possible different photographs to be 2*13!*14 = 2*14!.

4. Aug 5, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You treat "Michaela-Aleah" as a single person. That leaves 14 "persons" to place, the 13 other people and the "Michaela-Aleah" pair: 14!. And, of course there are the two different ways of ordering that pair, "Michaela-Aleah" or "Aleah-Michaela".

Another way to think about it: Withdraw Aleah from the group. There are now 14 people and so 14! ways to order them. We now can decicde to put Aleah to the left or right of Michaela: 2 ways to do that so (14!)(2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted