Does a vacuum act as anti-gravity?

• Thread starter drewbirmingha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question is asking if an object enclosed in a vacuum and suspended by magnetic force would experience friction while spinning. The answer is that in theory, it would spin indefinitely, but in practicality, it will eventually stop due to imperfections in achieving a perfect vacuum. The vacuum also has no effect on gravity.
drewbirmingha
This is my first post here. I have been looking on the internet for a good place to ask this question. I thank you in advance for any of your responses. Andrew

Question:
Would an object that was entirely enclosed in a vacuum, that is suspended by magnetic force, be affected by friction? I'm wondering if this object is spinning, would it stop after time or continue to spin indefinitely. If this is not the case, is their anyway to have that object spin as the planets in our solar system do (Indefinitely). I don't know much about physics, but it seems that once this object is started in its rotation it would continue to spin. Maybe there is something I am not thinking of. Thank you again. I await all of your answers.

One more question of clarification:
Does a vacuum act as anti-gravity so to say. I understand that "Space" is a vacuum. Please correct this if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum!

To answer your first part of the question, first remember that we can never achieve perfect vacuum. We can only achieve a vacuum that is good enough. So in the theoretical case where you do have it, yes it would spin infinitely. However, in any practical attempt at it, it will eventually stop, and it is only a matter of how long it will take. Same goes for planets in space.

Secondly, vacuum has nothing to do with gravity... nothing at all. For example the astronauts on the International Space station are not in zero-gravity at all. There is plenty of gravity everywhere around them, it is just that they are in never-ending free fall. They are constantly falling towards Earth, but always missing it because of their tangential speed.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum! Your question is a very interesting one and it actually has a few different aspects to consider.

Firstly, in regards to friction, it depends on the material the object is made of and the surface it is suspended on. If the object is made of a material with very low friction, such as superconducting materials, and it is suspended on a surface with very low friction, such as liquid helium, then it could potentially spin indefinitely. However, in most cases, there will still be some small amount of friction that will eventually slow down the object's rotation.

Secondly, you are correct that an object in a vacuum would experience less resistance or "anti-gravity" compared to in an atmosphere. However, the magnetic force suspending the object would still have to overcome the object's own mass and inertia in order to keep it spinning. So while a vacuum may reduce some external forces, it would not completely eliminate the need for a continuous force to keep the object spinning.

Lastly, the rotation of planets in our solar system is due to their initial momentum from the formation of the solar system, as well as the gravitational pull of the sun and other planets. In a vacuum, there would be no external forces acting on the object to keep it spinning like the planets. However, if the object was in space and near other massive objects, it could potentially experience a similar type of rotation due to the gravitational pull of those objects.

I hope this helps answer your questions and gives you a better understanding of the physics involved. Keep asking curious questions!

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, motion, and the interactions between them.

2. What are the fundamental laws of physics?

The fundamental laws of physics are the basic principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. They include laws such as Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, and the laws of electromagnetism.

3. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics is the study of the behavior of matter and energy on a macroscopic scale, while quantum physics is the study of their behavior on a microscopic scale. Classical physics uses theories and laws that are based on observations and experiments, while quantum physics uses mathematical models to describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. How is physics used in everyday life?

Physics is used in various aspects of our daily lives, such as in technology, transportation, medicine, and even sports. Examples include the use of electricity and magnetism in electronics, the principles of motion in designing vehicles, and the application of physics in medical imaging technologies.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the idea that it is only for geniuses or that it only deals with theoretical concepts. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the principles of physics, and it has practical applications in many fields. Another misconception is that it only focuses on the laws of motion, when in fact, it covers a wide range of topics such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.