1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about propagation constant in wave propagation equation

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    Now I'm studying acoustic waves. One question in my mind is propagation constant. It is:

[tex]\gamma = \alpha + j*\beta[/tex]

while the [tex]\alpha[/tex] is attenuation constant, [tex]\beta[/tex] is phase constant. Phase constant I can understand and calculate, but how about the attenuation constant. The literature says it is: e^[tex]\alpha[/tex] = abs(A0/Ax)

where A0 is the amplitude at the source of the wave, Ax is the amplitude at some x distance of the wave.

what my question are:

Is there any other way to find out or calculate the attenuation constant. Since I'm doing a simulation of an acoustic wave, I cannot give correct parameter without knowing the attenuation constant.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted