Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about quarks

1. Aug 31, 2004 #1
    the way i understand quarks is that they have mass, yet no physical extensions of any kind. how is this possible?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2004 #2
    Could you expound on that a bit....please.
  4. Aug 31, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Subatomic particles are not like billiard balls. All particles display wavelike properties, and do not have crisply defined edges like billiard balls. They do not really have a "size" in the normal sense of the word. You can specify that a quark in a specific state is within a certain volume 99% of the time, and use that volume as a sort of "statistical size," but microscopic particles simply do not have the macroscopic characteristic of "size."

- Warren
  5. Sep 1, 2004 #4
    another of the more intriguing aspects of the illusion we call reality. electrons and quarks, the fundamental building blocks of all matter, are point particles and have no volume. dont you find that profoundly amusing and stupefying at the same time?
  6. Sep 1, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, what is more "stupefying" is to be able to say they have a volume when we have no ability to determine such a thing. So you would rather we lie?

By saying something is a "point" particle implies that either (i) the physical real-space volume they occupy is not a significant property of that particle that influences its property; (ii) it is miniscule enough that we can't measure them; and (iii) the concept of "volume" may be invalid when things get to THAT scale.

These are the "reality" and restrictions that physics are faced with. Rather than make things up just to satisfy someone's "taste" and preference on what reality should be, we abide by what we can, or cannot, measure.

7. Sep 2, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I answered a question about the size of a photon about a week ago. What I said then is true for quarks too, so I recommend that you read this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?