What is the closure property of addition in Boolean groups?

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, the student is having trouble proving the closure property of the addition operation. He needs to show that if A is in B(X) and B is in B(X), then A+B is in B(X). However, he is not sure how to do this since both A and B are subsets of X.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

I attached the question...

I'm having trouble proving the closure property of the addition operation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the textbook states "The Boolean group B(X) is the family of all the subsets of X"

I need to show that if A is in B(X) and B is in B(X), then A+B is in B(X). But I'm not sure how...since both A and B are subsets of X, I need to show that A+B is a subset...but X is just arbitrary. I'm a bit confused about this...

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20121225_163140.jpg
    20121225_163140.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know that A and B are subsets of X. From this can you figure out how to show that:
[tex](A-B) \cup (B-A)[/tex]
is a subset of X? This is all you need to prove the closure of addition.

Maybe you are confused because earlier you learned:
[tex]A+B = \{a+b|a\in A,\,b \in B\}[/tex]
But note that the + operation is redefined in this exercise to mean:
[tex]A+B=(A-B) \cup (B-A)[/tex]

rasmhop said:
You know that A and B are subsets of X. From this can you figure out how to show that:
[tex](A-B) \cup (B-A)[/tex]
is a subset of X? This is all you need to prove the closure of addition.

Maybe you are confused because earlier you learned:
[tex]A+B = \{a+b|a\in A,\,b \in B\}[/tex]
But note that the + operation is redefined in this exercise to mean:
[tex]A+B=(A-B) \cup (B-A)[/tex]

Thanks, but the reason that I'm confused is...isn't it already obvious that [tex](A-B) \cup (B-A)[/tex] is a set? So how can I "prove" it?

Artusartos said:
Thanks, but the reason that I'm confused is...isn't it already obvious that [tex](A-B) \cup (B-A)[/tex] is a set? So how can I "prove" it?

Yes it is, but you also need to prove that it is a subset of X. That too is fairly obvious. Just mention that A is a subset of X so A-B is a subset of X, similarily B-A is a subset of X. Therefore (A-B) union (B-A) is a subset of X. If this is a slightly more advanced course you may even just say "Obviously [itex](B-A)\cup (A-B)[/itex] is a subset of X".

However you need to check that the operations are associative, that multiplication distributes over addition, and you must find additive and multiplicative identities. Furthermore you must show that every subset of X has a negation. These parts of the exercise are non-trivial (and there are still a few parts left I didn't mention such as commutativity).

1. What are rings?

Rings are circular bands made of various materials such as metal, plastic, or wood. They are often worn as jewelry on fingers.

2. What is the significance of rings?

Rings have various cultural and symbolic meanings, such as representing love, commitment, or social status. They can also serve functional purposes, such as sealing documents or holding keys.

3. How do rings form?

Rings are formed through various processes, such as volcanic activity, erosion, or precipitation. They can also be man-made through crafting or manufacturing techniques.

4. What types of rings are there?

There are many types of rings, including engagement rings, wedding rings, friendship rings, birthstone rings, and fashion rings. Each type serves a different purpose and can have a unique design.

5. How do scientists study rings?

Scientists study rings through various methods, such as analyzing their chemical composition, examining their structure under a microscope, or using specialized equipment like x-rays or lasers. They also study the cultural and historical significance of rings through research and analysis.